Mccain/Palin remember the civil rights era?

Georgia Rep. John Lewis, a civil rights-era icon , invoked segregationist Gov. George Wallace of Alabama in accusing John McCain and Sarah Palin of fanning the flames of hatred at Republican campaign events.

"What I am seeing reminds me of too much of another destructive period in American history," Lewis said in a statement released to FOX News. "Senator McCain and Governor Palin are sowing the seeds of hatred and division, and there is no need for this hostility in our political discourse."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• lil angel, i think the person was just trying to share the news story.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• "George Wallace never threw a bomb. He never fired a gun, but he created the climate and the conditions that encouraged vicious attacks against innocent Americans who were simply trying to exercise their constitutional rights," Lewis added. "Because of this atmosphere of hate, four little girls were killed on Sunday morning when a church was bombed in Birmingham, Alabama."

He then accused McCain and Palin of "playing with fire" in a way that "disregards the value of the political process and cheapens our entire democracy."

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/12/13/civil-rights-icon-compares-mccain-segregationist/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• If you do more research you will find that neither McCain nor Obama think that this campaign can in anyway be compared with George Wallace. I really wish people would do more research before posting such ignorant posts.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I guess I'm just frustrated with the "rumors" that we are all helping to spread. Spending a lot of time doing my own research and following the news it's an observation that most Americans have no idea why they are voting for either candidate. A study was done in Washington D.C. at a mall and 80% of Americans that are of legal age to vote had no idea who Biden was. He could be the next president if God forbid something were to happen to Obama.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I though it was an interesting story. and got it from Foxnews who most republicans in here have said it's the only news source they like. fox. not spreading anything. just sharing the news
    Anonymous

• The news story the OP shared is an example of one man (of reasonable standing) having a negative opinion about the way a certain campaign is run. This is not a rumor, nor a campaign trick of the opposing party. It does not mean what the Georgia Sen. says is necessarily true, just that there are similarities between the two times he is comparing.

Freedom of expression and press.

It's up to the reader to agree, disagree, or not care.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008