Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I'm curious....

If Food Stamps(FS) are to only be used temporarily, what if I already do work fulltime and I still qualify for would I be able to "get off FS"? I cannot afford utilities and food. I NEED FS to make ends meet. What do I do? I am a single mom and I work full-time with no support. I can't work more jobs or I would never, ever be here for my son...I barely am now.

Answer Question

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 8:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 33 (59,467 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You could "get off FS" when you have worked long enough to earn a larger salary. I have been where you are now and I hear ya however you still need them for a healthy work / life balance so don't feel bad about it. You are not milking the system in any way and are working towards the goal of no longer needing them - it just takes time :o) Hugs!

    Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Go to the local office and apply. Hopefully in the future you will be able to find a higher paying job.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 8:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • If you're working and qualify then you should have them. If you have a child and aren't getting child support, then you should persue that as well.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • You need to stay on them as long as you need to - that's what the benefit is there for. Some people are on them for years until they are able to make ends meet without them, there is no shame in that. You are doing the best you can with what you have.

    Answer by Scuba at 8:29 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • dont feel bad its ok if you need them and its the only way it will work out you can stay on them until you have enouph money for everything. dont worry about what other say it would be differently if you didnt need them adn was just getting them because you wanted the extra money but you really need them and you shouldnt worry about what other people say. some day you will be able to reach your goal and you will have enouph money and wont need them. but for now this is helping you adn you need it so you can spend some time with your son. so as long as you are getting them for the right reason you can keep applying. good luck and best wishes

    Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Thanks. Although, I won't get a raise where I am at and I would hate to leave because my hours and days off are so perfect. So, I am stuck...unless by chance they decide to up me or I miraculously find an equal job with better pay.
    I won't go for child support only because my son is 14 years old and has never met his dad. The guy had ABSOLUTELY no interest and I refuse to subject my son to any of that.

    Having said all this, I do have a BF and we are serious and will eventually get engaged and marry and there will no longer be a need because together we would be fine. I am just wondering how in the world I would be able to get off them...I am thinking I would be a forever on FS person. Or at least until me son was on his own.

    Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Sounds like it's time to start looking for another full time job.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Improve your skills and find a better job.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.