Instant idiot: Just Add Rain

I don't know why it is half the planet suddenly becomes unable to drive, walk in a straight line or apparently think the second it starts to rain, but this one is apparently a huge controversy at DS's school:

Is it ok to hold up the entire drop off line (and it's huge - budget cuts took buses away) to drop your child off directly in front of the door (they still have a good 120 feet of sidewalk to cross) or is it rude to make everyone else wait just so your child doesn't have to walk an extra 10-50 feet?

It's not just rainy day only cars - I recognize some of them who drop off every day and know where they're supposed to go (nevermind there are giant orange cones and a monitor with a giant sign and an umbrella to show them), so it's not ignorance of where the line goes.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• lol are you sure you dont live in CC? bahahaha where i live if it rains its like a complete freak show nobody can function...hence us normal ppl yelling obsene jestures and fingers in the air..lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• *sigh* it happens everywhere!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• LOL!! There are always idiots in the drop off lane at my kids schools. My favorite is when little Johnny putzes around the car, getting his things out, hugging mom or dad, and then the parent sits and waits until the child is in the building. I timed it - there is a chick who takes 8 minutes to drop her child off. Seriously?!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I see that happen for different reasons at school and it drives me nuts. I pick up my grandkids from school often and there is a bus loading line along the curb that is labeled BUS LOADING ONLY but many Moms in SUV's or Dads in big honkin' trucks and such line up there and block the buses from lining up,even though the big sign is there and it also specifes that cars are not allowed in those spaces. They are right there waiting for their kids and blocking buses everyday. They think they are entited and they don't want little Johnny to have to walk another 50 feet to their car. I am in the regular parking lot waiting and my grandkids have not suffered from having to walk all .. the ...way...to ...my ...car!!!!!! Ugh.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How about the ones that won't drive up to the main parking lot turn around so they are turning right into the drop off drive. they end up blocking traffic on the road because they just have to turn left into the drive. What about the ones that don't pull up so others can drop off and walk their kids up to the door? Park in the lot if you just have do this.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• lol, that's why i have my son ride the bus. i would definately lose my patience in the drop off situation lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It isn't just where you live NP, and it isn't just at schools. I've seen (right in front of our old house) people trying to drive at 55 when there was 8-10 inches of water sloshing across the road and than stand there scratching their heads when they ended up floating into a tree, rear-ending another car, etc. The speed limit is 35 to begin with ~ and this was two blocks from an elementary school.

Everyone is in a hurry, and most of them drive as though they believe that they are the only ones trying to get somewhere.

Leave early when the weather is bad and drive safely ... it really isn't that hard to do.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't have to deal with the school situation yet (DD is 3), but here in TX, its like there's a blizzard or something when a drop of rain hits the windshield! Everyone slams on the brakes and goes 35 on the Interstate...So annoying.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• What the hell ever happened to kids WALKING to school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I walk my kids to school so I've never noticed.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010