Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I have my son's child support evaluated? Or should I just be happy with what I get?

Every three years I am allowed to get my son's child support evaluated to adjust to what the standards are. My son was three the last time I had it looked at and he is now 12. I get 350.oo a month. I am now married with three other kids.

I never had it looked at because when I was single mom I was afraid it would go down when I needed the extra help. Should I just leave it alone and be happy with what we get? Its possible it would go down. With extra though I could start putting money aside for his college.


Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 17 (3,564 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I would just leave it alone, and start putting money back for his college anyway, even $20 a month.

    Answer by Mom2unangel at 8:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • that is up to can get it evaluated..but it is very possible it could go down depending on what the father makes..if he has had a change in his income being more or less it could increase or decrease thats a gamble you are going to have to actually should not have to request a re'evaluation your dept of ss should already do that on their own

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Personally I would leave it alone. $350 a month is plenty for one child if you are not depending on it for basic necessities. Plus in my state, they consider BOTH parents incomes and your child support could go down!

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • do u know if your childs father makes a substantial amout more now? If so you should take him back. My ex took me back to have it reduced and they ended up raising it. It goes by the income.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • $350/month is great. I'd leave it. I had child support ordered for my son when he was small too. He is now 13 and my ex never paid. He was finally prosecuted and I only get $200/month. I'd happily take what you get =)

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Do you need more? Or is what you get enough? It could go down because it's based on a percentage of each parent. So if the father's pay went down 15% it could lower, if his pay went up %15 it could raise it. If he spend more time with the child it could lower it could lower if you are no longer paying day care. There are a lot of things that could have it go either way, if you aren't hard up for cash then leave it be because you've got to figure that the dad might be tighter on cash then you think and is paying what he needs to without any problem.

    Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Tell the dad that you won't get it reevaluated if he opens a college account for the child. Maybe he won't realize that the cs could go down if you go back to court. Since it's for the good of the child, he may agree.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010