Do you let your kids watch TV during the week while school is in session?

We don't allow TV during the week when school is in session. Too many activities, homework and such going on that what little time we have left we would prefer it to be family bonding time. So, we play boardgames or do something as a family instead.

Mommy_0f_many

Asked by Mommy_0f_many at 8:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, after homework is finished.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• in the morning i look at the news and i suppose he could look at that if he really wanted to lol.. after school he is usually too busy playing with his brother to be bothered with watching tv. he usually looks at a show (swat kats on boomerang lol) after his bath time when he's eating his snack before he goes to bed. since he's started school he doesn't seem as interested in watching tv
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes..... After homework & after dinner..& after all the messes are cleaned up.. I dont push him to play games with us if he doesn't want too. =0 sometimes hes just not in the mood, but we do things together. So far we haven't gotten any after school activities set up. He just started school yesturday.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, after homework and after school activities are done they watch tv. I agree with lilmoosesmom, if the kids do not want to play games or have extra family time Im not going to make them do it. We save the games for the weekends. They have been in school all day and are tired and want to relax when they get home.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, I let them unwind in front of the tube for a little while when they get home. No TV after dinner. My 5 year old comes home so exhausted. My 4th grader must get her homework done first.
    Sunnybrook

Answer by Sunnybrook at 8:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• After work is done. She doesn't get homework from school, only in kindergarten, but I always have a few letter and number practice things for her to do through the week. Once she gets done she's free for whatever until dinner. That usually means tv in her room, working on some art or dancing around. But we only have the one so it's easier to find bonding time. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yep. I don't see a need to create artificial taboos and make things forbidden so he'll want to do them even more just because they're denied. He's free to watch tv pretty much whenever he wants. Aside from the occasional Spongebob or iCarly fix, he rarely does.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I forgot to mention our daughter is 13 and in 8th grade so there is a big difference there :o) We all are into games and when she doesn't want to play with us she loves to read so she does that instead. We never "force" her to play with us she just wants to :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Comment by Mommy_0f_many (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• TV isn't on as much anymore. My teens have their own... but my Kindergartener seems to be too busy playing to care anymore.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2010