What age do girl's grow out of changing their outfits and PJs 3 + times a day? My daughter is turning 3.

It doesn't bother me too much except that her room is ALWAYS a mess and I do more laundry then I should. My boys never did this. So what age does it slow down and any helpful tips that worked for you?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD did this and still does but not as bad... She is almost 4.5 and only changes if she needs to, got dirty, wet, special occasion etc. Yes there is a lot of extra laundry but I honestly think it is healthy for a little girl to do this. This is her way of showing independence and she is finding herself in a healthy positive way rather than acting out with bad behavior. What I did was made one drawer that was just her " change time drawer" and she loved it made it fun but she got bored after a few months.
    liltxnchic

Answer by liltxnchic at 8:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My dd did this a lot between the ages of 2 and 3. She just turned 4, and it has slowed down. She still does it occasionally, but not nearly as frequently. I usually try to go along behind her and pick up the clothes. If it's something she's only had on for a short time, and we haven't gone anywhere or done anything while she was wearing it, it goes back into her drawer. If it's something she was outside running around and sweating in, or something she got messy in, I'll toss it in the wash. That seems to cut down on the mountains of laundry I do. It's amazing how much laundry one tiny girl can make. I mean, her clothes are so much smaller than mine, lol.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Hmmm, I never did this as a kid, and my Dd is only allowed to change if she needs to or it's bedtime. I wouldn't allow her to honestly, the extra laundry is a waste.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 8:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• she wears pj's and then gets changed into her outfit. she can only change her clothes again if she makes a mess, or if she has on something fancy for a party or church or something. why would you allow her to wear so many clothes? and why would you wash them if she only wore them a couple of hours? just wondering your reasoning lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have 3 girls and we've never going through that - the only time there are extra changes in the day (or have ever been) is if there's a major spill or accident necessitating a change. If they'd ever tried changing multiple times I would not have allowed it - but like I said, they never got into that.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010