Why is it wrong in Groups to delete Posts that are no longer used?

I can understand if they are active, but what about those Posts that are weeks old and its yours to begin with, why is it taboo to get rid of it?

Esp when you address an old post people give you hard time about reviving an old post. If its so bad, then why not get rid of it?

Do you delete you group posts anyways after it becomes inactive after a few days? That seems the safest way. As long as no one needs it anymore or its been bumped past page 2, no one seems to notice (the coast is clear), yet its still technically a rule breaker.

Why have the option to delete if your not allowed to use it?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Some groups don't allow it because when someone posts a reply, that reply is their intellectual property. In some of the more debate/discussion type groups, where people spend a lot of time on their replies, its unfair to delete all of the hard work they put into it, especially if they ever decide to go back and use what they've written in posts.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Um...It's not wrong, where did you get that idea?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• its not wrong, some people are just way too up tight on here and will give you a hard time about anything. don't sweat it & do what you want with the things you post IMO.
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Ugh, that sounds ridiculous. I like cafemom, but somethings are here drive me nuts!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 9:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Not all groups have the "no deleting" rule - if any of mine do they've never said anything because I almost always delete my posts after a few days or so, especially if they don't contain info I need anymore.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If you are in a group owned by someone other than CM, they can have their own group rules. Sounds like those groups you are refering to have a rule against deleting posts and you broke group rules. Most groups on CM don't care if you delete your own posts. I personally never do b/c I belong to too many groups and it would be time consumming.

I will say, as a group owner myself, that I don't want people to delete out their old posts but I don't have any rules against it and wouldn't kick someone out of the group for doing it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If you OWN the group then do what you want with YOUR group! screw what others think about deleting the old posts!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• oh from all the people that gave me grief for doing it in some of my groups I was in. Followed by getting the Axe from the group. I was like "Whatever."

They were just giving me grief and I decided I'd just get rid of the thread rather than let the Flamefest continue and I got shafted for it.

I've gotten warnings in other groups about deleting posts as well, its even in some of the group rules that you cant delete it without asking the group owners first. Call me a rebel, but I don't need permission to delete my own post esp when its getting out of hand or I've decided I got what I needed from it.

So I realized a good strategy was to just wait till the post got pushed of the list to page 2 or became more than 48 hours old, so that it wouldn't be noticed if it vanished. Its one of the reasons I like the Answers Section better.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I understand its their rule, but its so easy to get around it, why have it? Good answers tho and I do see the points. Still, it being the internet, rules are largely dependent on the honor system and if someone figures a way around a virtual barrier, they've use it (like waiting for the post to get far enough down the list or allowing a day or two of inactivity so that no one misses it)

Maybe the rule should be altered to "Don't delete actively used threads". Cuz then people get upset about something there are still on about. Once the subject is closed and they move on, then it should be ok to get rid of it.

I get the intellectual property thing too, but... copy/paste or remember what ya said then, cuz as long as the OP has the option to delete, that a risk taken.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 5:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• "Some groups don't allow it because when someone posts a reply, that reply is their intellectual property. In some of the more debate/discussion type groups, where people spend a lot of time on their replies, its unfair to delete all of the hard work they put into it, especially if they ever decide to go back and use what they've written in posts."

I understand that and to some extent agree with it, but in the end... tough cookies lol. If I don't want the post anymore and I have the option to delete it, then I will if I want to :)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2010