So would it be wrong for me to ask that the school bus picks up and drops off my child off at the house?

I have a 1st grade & next year I'll have a 2nd grader & a kindergartner. i have 4 little ones & i have to walk up to the bus stop thats 1/8 of a mile from my house with 3 of them after noon(because DH is at work & my car is need of repairs). Then walk home w/ all four(youngest is 9months), I know there is another school bus that comes down the road i live on & it stops across the road from my home & lets off 1 kid. I have to take all my children up to the bus stop which is on a very busy road w/ crazy speeding drivers. the bus stop is on a curve & there have been car wrecks there last year. so, to me it seems like dangerous place for bus stop to begin with. also I don't have anyone to watch my other children when i go get my eldest one from the bus stop so they all have to go with me. And then the bus never comes at the same time. is it wrong for me to ask if the school bus can drop off/pick up my child at the house?

Moon_Mama

Asked by Moon_Mama at 8:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Find a way to present it as saving them time and/or gas by changing the route to go closer to your house. Also see if you can enlist the help of whoever owns the property where the bus stops. They may not be quick to move it for a parent, but if the house/business where the bus picks up complains about the liability issues, they will move it (just be careful what you wish for)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• 1/8 of a mile is not far, but hey that's just me lol. i have a double stroller for the little ones when i pick up my kindergardener from the bus stop. but here you can petition the school district if you think that your bus stop is in a dangerous location. the bus that stops accross the road from your house is probably from a different school
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You can ask.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• sure ask them -no harm in asking

school bus companies do think the world revolves around their schedule-so good luck!

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Honey it wouldnt hurt to call and ask but who knows why there is only one kid that gets off of the other. I can understand why this ,ust be frustrating.
    liltxnchic

Answer by liltxnchic at 8:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You can call, but they probably won't do it. They have a set route with set stops....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You can ask, but I doubt it'll do any good. When you do, leave out the part about the trouble with the other kids. They won't care and won't change the drop offs just because one mom can't find a sitter. Stress the danger of the road. Get some numbers on the accidents and dangers.
    Also ask about the one that stops by your home. A lot go down the side roads for special needs kids. That's how it works here. Regular busses stay on the main roads and kids meet them. Special needs busses go to the kid's home.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You can try, I know it's frustrating. We live on a military base, and because the elementary school is within walking distance, they don't offer bus to anyone on base other than the kids who go to the child development center before school and after school. When my boys were in 1st and 3rd grade, we moved here. At that point we lived 1 mile exactly from the school, and I would have to get up and out with my 1 year old by 730 every morning to walk them to school and then at 215 every afternoon i had to leave to pick them up whether DD was napping or not, we just had to work out scheduling for that lol. Once my boys got into middle school they started offering buses, but the stops were half a mile from the house so when they got into 6th grade, they had to start walking to the bus stop themselves so I could walk my DD to her preschool and kindergarten classes. It can't hurt for you to ask, but I doubt they will change anything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Doesn't hurt to ask.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• you can ask but I doubt it will do any good. we had to walk a mile and a 1/2 home, on a busy back road that was 45mph, didnt have a side walk, we were walking on the shoulder where semis drive past. My mom went in almost every day trying to get them to move it closer and since it was only my brother and I they wouldnt change it. They finally changed it when one more girl moved in next door. She never used the bus, but thankfully she moved there because then we only had to walk a mile instead of a mile and a 1/2.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010