driving me nuts

my 3 year old does not eat his food and wastes it. I'm getting really fed up with it. Sometimes he asks for something and I make it and then he does not eat it. Other times I make something (I make a variety and stuff I know he's eaten in the past) and he will not eat. Hubby is Asian and wants the boy a vegetarian like him so I respect that. I know kids go thru picky eating times. I'm just lost cuz I don't know if he just is not into this kind of diet or he is just being picky. It really is hard on me because we(me and the little guy) fight about it daily. Sometimes I get so frustrated I yell at him to eat his food. He'll go all day without eating till 9pm at night right before bed. So all day he says how hungry he is and it JUST GETS TO ME ALL THE WHINING. I'm a SAHM so after 12 hours of it I'm DONE. Any advice I'd really appreciate!

cattiesmom78

Asked by cattiesmom78 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• First of all I think you should stop fighting about it. Fix a variety of food like you say you do and let him pick what he wants. Take a new approach and say something like "we will not fight about meals anymore. I will fix nice food and that is what I am serving." Then serve your meals and if he eats fine, if not, fine. Make sure he is getting plenty of liquids and a multi vitamin. I assume you offer him 3 meals and snacks in between. Our family was exactly where you are right now and it should never have happened. I should have done what I am suggesting here. There should have been no anger. Stop the anger. Ignore when he says he's hungry unless it's snack time or meal time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's normal 3 year old behavior. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Give him two or three choices for what he may want for a meal or snack and make him smaller portions.
    Also, no food between meals/snack time -- if he's hungry enough, he'll eat it!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Feed him only what you want him to eat, and DONT give in! kids will NOT intentionally starve themselves. Its YOUR will against a 3 year olds. Hunger is the best sauce as the saying goes. NEVER let a child dictate to you how the house is run or meals will go.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If your son is getting ONE GOOD meal a day - that's enough.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010