When can I start my son on whole milk?

My son will be one on september 25th. We are working on cutting back on feedings (he is still nursing and I pump 3 times a day for his milk at daycare) Is it safe to start him on like a cup of whole milk at daycare to cut out one of my pump sessions?

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When the time comes (after chatting with your doctor) I would 't just give him milk, but ease him into it. First few days, 1/4 milk & 3/4 breast milk. That way he gets used to the difference in flavor slowly and won't really notice.

2 of my 3 never took to the whole milk thing. It took DS1 a year or so of being offered milk to drink it straight. DD has never really liked it. Only DS2 took to it right away.

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• ask your doc but i started giving my kids whole milk when the turned a year.

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• They say at 1 year. But I agree with the easing into it, sometimes whole milk is too much and can give your child diarrhea, so easing into it will not only help him adjust to flavor change, but also help his body get used to the difference.

Answer by Nsbgirl at 9:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• When he's a year old.

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• They say a year but my ped told me when he was around 11.5 months to start giving it in a cup in small increments like an ounce or two a day and work to larger amounts. But you cant just give him a 60z cup and say here you (not that im saying you would but i know people who do). Its harsh on the little tummies. I never mixed it with his formula. He had the formula in his bottle and the milk in the cup so he got use to the taste that way. Good luck :)

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i'd wait a few weeks. was he born around his due date? if he was early, i'd wait until his due date came around. if he was late then i'd wait until his birthday :)

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• First birthday. Not before.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010