to those moms whose babies used pacifiers

I was wondering at what age you weaned them off the pacifer and how did you do it?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We cut a small part of the tip off and they weaned themselves. They where around 2. I would have done it sooner, but there dad was in the ICU and I did not want to tak any thing that was a security thing away until he was out.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think she was about 13 months old when I started. First she was never really allowed to have it othen than sleeping, unless she was sick. Then, they took it away at naptime (per my request) at daycare and at about 18 months (older than I wanted but it just happened that way) I just cold turkey took it away at night. It was rough getting her to sleep without it for a couple of nights but then it was fine and within a week, she never even mentioned it anymore!
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I just stopped giving it to her during the day at 6 months. She had them at sleep time until 2 1/2 when she decided to throw them away. We told her we would sign her up for school on her 3rd birthday if she had given up her diapers and binkies by then. One day, about 7 months before her birthday she woke up dry then tossed the binkies in the trash. Pretty simple, no binkies and no more diapers the same day.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• when my daughter turned one i took it from her and never gave it back she cryed for it but its just like breaking from the bottle and it had to be done in the long run she acted up for about a week thats it!
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We never used them but friends let their girls use them until the age of three when the girls just started self weaning. From the start they were never allowed to take them out of the house and used them mostly at bedtime and naps.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My kids never really used them. I would use one to buy me time at a store or in the car until I could get out to nurse. At around 9 months, we would only give it at night and by one year it was gone. They just never turned to it for comfort because I just didn't make it always available.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have a friend who recently had her daughter "mail" her binkie to me so that the new baby could have it.
    She got a prize for being a big girl :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• ive heard of having big girl/boy parties. have an actual party. make a big deal out of it. the main theme of the event is throwing away or burying the pacifiers. i dont know if it would work...prob depends on the kid but worth a try if they are open to it...with the level of comfort and security that a passy brings i dont think i could just take it away cold turkey.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• When my son was about 18 months (which was later than I would have liked) I started only letting him have it at night. Then the next time I noticed his nose was stuffy and he couldnt suck on it, I took it away and never gave it back. He never asked or it or anything.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My oldest was 2 1/2 when we cut it out completely - he was 1 when we limited it to his bed only and we just went cold turkey. He cried for one night and never asked for it again. My 4th stopped using it on his own at 20 months.

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2010