Advice Needed on the BEST INSURANCE for BOYS who are just starting to drive. Are all rates so HIGH for BOYS and not girls?

JOCKEYP2PMOM

Asked by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 9:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, I believe rates are always highest for young,unmarried men. They are the highest-risk drivers. Have you contacted the company with whom you have your insurance policies? Usually you get a discount for having multiple policies. Also ask what kinds of things you can do to help reduce the premiums, such as having your son take a safe-driver course, or maintaining a certain grade point average. Most companies have options to help reduce the perceived risk of the driver and therefore lower the premiums.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yep, that's because the insurance companies think boys tend to be little speed demons and such... They never drove with me at 16 apparently. LOL.... Most of my friends pay an extra $100 a MONTH more to add the boys to their existing policies. I have 16 and 17 year old boys and neither are driving.... in this economy I cannot afford $300 for each to go to driving school, I cannot afford to insure them or get them anything to drive. I only pay $368 a YEAR to insure my fully covered car.... how would I afford to pay an extra $2400 a year....I'd have to give up eating.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We have State Farm. The rates are the same for both. You can get lower rates through them by doing two things. One they have to have I think an A average. ( not sure it's been a year or two it could be a B) They also have a safe driving program for new teen drivers. It's a DVD they have to watch and a log book of all their driving trips. If they complete this then they get lower rates. Also It doesn't matter if you take drivers Ed or not. For the most they are lower then other companies.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Never let them drive until they are 26 and the rates go down? I feel your pain, it is crazy the money they get. My son is now 24 and pays for his own thank heavens! I know Allstate gives breaks for grades, and for accident free driving per year. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The rates for teens are high but, yes, boys are typically higher ... they're more of a risk.

Does your teen have his own car or will he be driving your and/or your husband's car(s)? If he has his own car that will be added to your policy, you may save a few bucks by naming your child the principal driver on the oldest car of the three. Also, most companies offer a discount for good grades. Does your teen work? If so, will you require that he pay his own gas, insurance, and yearly registration (if he has his own car)? We require that of our son; he knew from day one that he'd be responsible for those things. Also, shop around for the best rates.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• rates are really high for guys or girls that age (but typcially higher for guys)
    My brother has to pay $100 a month for car insurance!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It depends on the state. Insurance rates for anyone with less than 5 years of driving experience are SKY HIGH - doesn't matter male or female, married or single.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Our school system no longer offers drivers ed and you have to have certified driving school to be able to get a drivers license if you are under the age of 18. Its crazy!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• state farm
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Car insurance is high for teens period. A way to keep the insurance costs down is to have the vehicle registered in you name and insured in your name with him listed as a driver.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010