Feeding schedule, nursing and TTC Oh my! LOL Avice needed please. Thanks!

My son will be one on 9/25/10. He is still breastfed and I nurse him at 7AM and he drinks water and finger snacks at 9AM. Eats a meal and has 4 oz of breastmilk at 12PM. He has a light snack and 40z breast milk at 3PM. He then eats a meal at 7PM with water. And nurses around 7:15-7:30 for bedtime. He still gets up every 3-4 hours in the night and nurses..so he gets up twice before the alarm goes off.

My question is when does milk become a drink and not a meal. For instance at daycare instead of a 4 oz bottle can he drink 2 oz in a cup and have a meal? I am just not sure. But want to work on weaning. But plan to leave night time feedings for awhile. Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. WE are TTC number 2 and I want to increase fertility as well.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt breast feed my kids because my body just wouldnt produce but by the time my kids were one year old i took there bottles and only give them milk in a sippy cup before bed... other than that they had water juice and food. As long as ur baby is eating healthy nuitritous food and drinking fluids there really isnt much need for food. Actually all my kids were alittle over weight until they started to really run around and play. Also because i started them eating whatever we were eating so young i havent had any trouble with getting them to eat good foods. Meats are hard because they have trouble chewing so i wouldnt suggest that other than little stuff or the kiddie meal meat.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Check out Breastfeeding and Fertility and

Boosting Fertility while Breastfeeding

At around a year your breastmilk is no longer a complete "meal", but is still a nutritious food for your baby.From kellymom.com:

• In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:

• 29% of energy requirements

• 43% of protein requirements

• 36% of calcium requirements

• 75% of vitamin A requirements

• 76% of folate requirements

• 94% of vitamin B12 requirements

• 60% of vitamin C requirements

-- Dewey 2001
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't think it will hurt to do that. Especially if you are trying to wein
    Marzee32

Answer by Marzee32 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• sorry i ment isnt much need for milk if there eating good.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Definitely give him the bm in a sippy instead of the bottle - no harm in that at all, and it gets him used to the sippy (if he's not already).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:25 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Simply put, on the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My oldest still woke up through the night to nurse @ 1 and once I weaned him he slept right through the night. Maybe a bigger breakfast then snack between that and milk with dinner. It will be easier once hes weaned.
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:21 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Have you tried giving him cow's milk with meals instead of just water? At this age, he should be having a full breakfast (cereal, oatmeal, etc).
    Also, he does not need to wake up at night to nurse any longer - it's probably more of a comfort thing to him now than actual hunger. I would give him a small snack and a full bottle of warm cow's milk right before bed, to get him through the night.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010