Testifying, or an attempt to control teenagers?

Yeah, I saw another commercial about "being saved." This one I had to laugh at because it was on during Cheaters and the irony of it struck me. But anyway, this one was about teenagers. It had a cartoon girl talking about how she didn't respect her parents and yada yada yada. Anyway, after she "found" God, it changed her to an actual person, implying that without God, people are fake or not real.
Now, not only do I find the overall message (without god you are fake/not real) to be offensive, but I also feel that the commercial is extremely misleading. I mean, do you think that teens should respect their parents if they are drug abusers? Cause it seemed that that was the message of the whole thing. "You need to respect your parents, because God said so." Do you think they have gone to far?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Meh... obviously they meant well. I'm sure the commercial was directed towards Christian parents who have terrors for children. Don't assume all advertising is tailored to you -- after all, if you watch a commercial for Depends or AARP, do you get offended that they might think you're old? Just ignore it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. If it doesn't experss you, ignore it.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 9:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You've got to be kidding me. Finding God is not an instant magical thing, where all of sudden you're a new person. It's an ongoing practice. As far the respect for extremely bad parents. You can still love and honor them, without necessarily respecting their lifestyle. Praying for them refusing to do things that you know are morally wrong. Getting away from them and going on with your own life, bettering yourself. Even in some cases as to go so far as to turn them in to the authorities. People get the whole love and honor thing not completely right. It can go to the other extreme Carries Mom from Stephen Kings "Carrie" come to mind..You can have a whacked out religious zealot for a parent who will quote you need love an honor me and take it to mean you have to do everything I say. Love and honor for giving birth yes but that's all. If you're whacked I don't have to listen to all you say.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Thank you Older. That is just the image I got in my head when I saw the commercial.
    And, no, this was not directed at parents. It said if you need god, please call (insert free salvation number here). And, like older said, them are seeming to make it sound like "getting saved" is a quick fix for all your problems, and it's not.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• quick fix for all your problems, and it's not.--

but they only have so many seconds to tell their quick message..i see lots of commercials that 'bother' me, but i'm not offended. i just mute it, change the channel, or get over it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You're welcome, I've helped my older Children save some of their friends from this type of hype. It can really screw around with the delicate psyche of a teenager who is in a delicate situation.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Alright I'll say it. Most Christians will blow off this type commercial thinking that it can't do any harm. It can through the promises of making your life all roses and daffodils, no problems any more they're all gone if you just believe. What happens when all your problems are still there. Well you just need to believe more. I'm sorry but it just doesn't work that way. Yes accepting and trusting God can help you through the tough times and make the good times, better. Can help you to grow to be a better person and help those that need you're help, but you're also culpable for some of these changes. Not all good things are his doing just like not bad things are the Devils doing. Humans do have a responsibility here. OK to my point I went off on a tangent. How many Christians would be all up in arms if a non Christan group did the same thing? You can bet that here on this site they would all get their panties in a knot.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't like that they imply teens who aren't Christians do not respect their parents - it's the old "you can't be a good person if you aren't a Christian" or "non-Christians have no morals" thing. Not true and very annoying accusation.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 10:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How many Christians would be all up in arms if a non Christan group did the same thing? ---

they already do. 'family game night' ring any bells? there are all kinds of socially/family-conscious tv ads put out by various civic/educational groups.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• yeah I iagree they meant well and it is an attempt to help the teens, but I can't see you avg American Teen going that route. To go from No God to Born Again is a pretty big leap for your avg Teen to take shy of them having some major personal traumas and feeling they have no where else to turn.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2010