How would I know if I had an amniotic fluid leak?

I've had a LOT of moisture down below and the thought just occured to me, "what if its amniotic fluid?"
How would I even know... does it have a certain smell or anything?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 9:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Amniotic fluid smells sweet, and urine smells like ammonia. Sweat doesn't normally have a scent.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I had a small leak with my first child. When I sat down it would stop, when I would stand I would start to leak again. Hope it helps some.
    Marzee32

Answer by Marzee32 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have been told if it does not have a ammonia smell to be on the safe side and get checked out. Because amniotic fluid does not always have a smell to it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If you are soaking a pad in an hour it's probably amniotic fluid. You can go to the doctor and they can do a little swab test to check if you are unsure. When are you due? If it's not for awhile you should get checked, better safe than sorry :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:04 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I had a slow leak. What I did was take a shower and put fresh undies on. If you start sweating down there and your undies are wet after only a few minutes it very well may be and I would call your doctor and tell her what you did. I was 3 weeks early with my son when I had the slow leak.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• What the moisture can be also, not necessarily always urine... If you have been very active you can have increased discharge. It increases a lot in your last couple of months and a lot in the last few weeks (cervix thinning). I had twins and whenever I did a lot of standing or activity I had increased discharge. I am pregnant again and carrying very low so as a result I have increased discharge when I am very active.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It would be a constant drip pretty much and it would be like constantly dribbling in your pants. Less like moisture and more like a drip.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'm due in Nov... but from what I'm reading here it sounds like I must be leaking urine (gross!)
    I guess that must be from the baby sitting on my bladder or something... Note to self *Add Poise pads to shopping list
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2010