Has anyone ever gotten a hard time from their childs pediatrician for extended exclusive breastfeeding??

My daughter is now 6 months and not interested in solids i am not pushing it she has already more then doubled her birth weight but the dr insists i need to push solids. What would you do?

Love2beMom

Asked by Love2beMom at 9:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• find a new ped
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My sisters doc said the same thing to her.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• This is a new one.. Unfortunately. My daughters bw was 6lbs 10oz and her current weight is 14lbs 10oz.
    Love2beMom

Comment by Love2beMom (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter didn't start solids until she was almost 8 months. Find a new one.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 9:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would just try every afternoon to give her a taste of solids. She may take it but dont fret if she doesnt. When you are cooking you can make baby food and freeze it in ice cube trays. Just nuke 1 ice cube and try to feed her. If she doesnt like it now atleast you arent wasting a whole jar. I wouldnt force solids but I would continue to offer them regularly.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I just had mt sons 6 month check up and when she asked about solids I just gave her the facts. Cereal was making him gassy and he seemed to have an upset stomach. Other foods he is just not interested in or he has a gag reflex so I told her I quit all solids for now and will try again in a month. She was fine with that as long as I am breastfeeding on demand, which I do. If your doctor is giving you a hard time, I would just make it clear what your intentions are and he/she will either support you or not. You might need to switch doctors if you are not on the same page with this. Good luck to you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Not at all. My DD's pediatrician encouraged it. I find it so weird that some are against it. It just seems so strange to me that Dr.'s will tell you to stop. What is her reasoning? I had my Gyno tell me to stop breastfeeding because i would ruin her teeth. Well....funny thing, she still has yet to have ONE cavity (ahe is 9 now). Her dentist loves her because he knows her teeth are perfect. ALTHOUGH, her older brother & sister (on her dad's side) were not breastfed & have horrible teeth. They are so young & already have crowns, have had root canals & the whole nine. I don't buy that breastfeeding is bad for the teeth. From my research, i have learned the opposite that it actually helps teeth from getting rotten.

My DD would not eat solid foods either. Her Dr. said keep on breastfeeding. I breastfed until she was 2 & her pediatricial was delighted that i did it so long.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would get a new Ped. Maybe she didn't breastfeed & has resentment towards women who do....LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree with the ladies that advise finding a new doctor. Also, contact the breastfeeding advocacy group at your local hospital. Some have a La Leche League that can advice you on healthy weights and ages to start solids. They are a friendly no pressure group.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:55 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• ok, minus the typo's i am terribly sick & not really there. I'm sure i'll be typing horribly all day. Would it kill me to use spell check?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010