Is a nintendo DS to old for a 3 year old?

My daughters birthday is coming up and SHE LOVES playing with her cousins Nintendo DS, i wasnt sure if this would be something suitable for her at her age. what do you think? My husband thinks its okay But i think shes still alittle young for one.

Also what are some suggestions you have for a 3 year old. Please bump if u dont know!

SunShineMoMM

Asked by SunShineMoMM at 10:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it is. Maybe get her a game system made for a 3 year old. They are sturdier and th games help them learn as well.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Not only too young for it but it's expensive. She's only 3, she won't understand the responsibility of having something like that. IMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No I think it is perfect my child has had hers since she was 3 and loves it....she also had the vsmile learning hand game and didn't play it much at all but my child is also very carefull with her toys and doesn't drop it break it or anything so if your child is responsible and takes care of her toys I say its perfect
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would not purchase a DS for a 3-year old, no matter how responsible with their toys/stuff.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have been looking at various gaming systems for my 3 yr old. I think that the Vsmile is a great choice and there are a ton of games that include all of the favorite characters.
    secondbaby75

Answer by secondbaby75 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Personally I think the other posts in my opinion are not totally correct, my son when he was that age have a great sense of responsability and always took care of his things, it depends on the individual child and as far as being to young it also depends on the child, there are lots of educational games you can get for those DS and DSI game systems. Heck I have a 14 year old godson who is not as responsible as my 8 year old niece. Yes they are expensive but if you feel ur child is ready for one then by all means go for it!! 

baby dust

Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I saw around Christmas a lot of parents were buying them on the former Playskool group here for their 3 year olds. I really didn't think it was age appropriate. Several reasons. The games for one are geared towards older kids. Secondly if she get s DS now then what does she have to look foward to at age 6 or so ? I mean how do you top that ? I feel something like a LeapFrog Leapster would be better for her age. They have a new Explorer one my daughter has. She LOVES it and feels like she gets to be a big kid like her 8 year old brother. The thing I like about the Explorer is you don't HAVE To buy the expensive games. You can get these leapapps and download games, movies etc...online. I was able to download two games offline with 2 leapapps. That was around 13.00 dollars I think. She has been super happy with this. I like that they are educational games too.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Footballmom just wondering why you feel that way??
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I guess it just really depends on the child. My son has had one since that age and did fine with it. He actually had the leapster which is meant for that age, but played and liked the ds more than that. There games are rated so you can have an idea of age appropriate ones, my son has EC(early childhood) and E(everyone). They make all sorts of games for kids like crayola, wonder pets, amusement park games, etc. My son has a case he keeps the gameboy and games in so nothing gets lost. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Oh another thing is with the DS the pen can be easily lost. With a Leapster Explorer it is connected and a holder. Also it's more geared towards accidencal drops on the floor.

.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010