How do help my 2 1/2 year old daughter transition to panties?

We are in the middle of the potty wars. In the mornings, she does fine going to the potty and wearing panties. At the moment she is screaming her head off for a diaper and keeps taking off her panties. I'm trying to just go cold turkey on diapers... any advice?

crystalhuskey

Asked by crystalhuskey at 10:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just keep up what you're doing... prob have more laundry to do for a while but she'll get used to it.
    2 year olds are kind of at that stage where they aren't sure if they want to still be a baby or a "big kid".... especially in the afternoon if they're tired of being "big"
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That is what you have to do. Just hide the diapers and say no more diapers. We had to do that with our youngest. She was so ready and not wanting to wear underwear. It is a control and comfort thing for them. So we hide her diapers and went through a few days of tears but before we knew it.

Another thing that helped. Was we went to the store and I let her pick out her own underwear.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Let her pick her own! Also try putting them on top of her pullups first, that way she will get used to the way it looks for them to be there!
    B-FigNewton

Answer by B-FigNewton at 10:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• When my son was going to potty train, I waited until he was on his last diaper. I said uh-oh, that was the last diaper, we better go get you some big boy underwear. We went to the store, I let him pick out the underwear that he liked, and then he started to potty train. I tried at 2yo with pullups and that didn't work because those are just like diapers and he would still go in them and we both got frustrated. So at 2 1/2 we did the above and that's what worked. Good luck. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• And make sure and give her lots of praise and make her feel special for being a "big girl"! :) Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2010