How do you handle it when a stepchild yells at you the phrase you aren't my mother and I don't have to listen to you?

My stepkids yell at me that they don't have to listen to me because I am not their mother and it gets frustrating.

kimb31

Asked by kimb31 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• You tell them, No Im Not your mother, but in THIS house you WILL respect MY rules and FOLLOW them or you WONT be visiting your dad here. You WILL show me the respect I deserve in MY home!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:29 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, it is important first of all to remember that you are not their mother. With that said, your house your rules. Does your DH hear this? Does he intervene? It is going to be very difficult for you to deal with the problem if you don't have support from him but I would remind them that regardless of whether or not you are their mother, they are in your home and as such will follow your rules. If they don't? Take things away. No TV, no video games no fun period until they can be respectful and do as they are told.

Hang in there!
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It's your home, they will respect you and follow the house rules period. Your DH really needs to get involved if they are treating you like that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• "You live under my room (even if they're just visiting) You follow my rules. Period."
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would have their Dad talk to them. I have talked to my kids and told them that when (their stepdad) asks them to do something, it is the same as if I had asked.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You are right, I am not your mother. I can't make you follow your father's rules so you and he can discuss what needs to happen when you do not like or feel uncomfortable with his parenting ideas.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Just because I didn't give birth to you doesn't make me any less your mother. When you are in my house, you will follow my rules & treat me with respect.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• tell them you are the ADULT..

you are no different than a police man, judge, or teacher and YES they have to listen to you.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think the father needs to talk to his child on some rules.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010