1 week old has not had BM

my son was a week old yesterday and he only had one bowel movement in the morning. He is jaundice and on a bili blanket to help. And I am also supplementing formula to help the jaundice. is not having a bowel movement ok or should I wait it out today and call his pediatrician? i'm a little worried. he is having the normal amount of diapers with urine in them and he is not fussy or anything. He is rather gassy.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 10:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would go ahead and call the doc. babies are suppose to have a few BM each day and not having any at all may be a sign of not eating good a few different things. Ive not had a baby with the jaundice problem u are having but asking cant hurt. Sometimes gassy but no poop can also indicate constipation. I would call just to be sure, U dont want to make anything harder on the baby if a phone can fix it all.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• id call your doc, why mess around with it? he should be having bms
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If you are breast feeding it is the best for jaundice. Formula also give kids constipation. If you are concern call baby's Dr.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Formula is very constipating. I would stop the formula. All a baby needs is breastmilk (formula is a copy of breastmilk and not a very good one at that!) Breastmilk and sunlight are the best remedies for jaundice.

More breastmilk with facilitate pooping because it has a natural laxative effect.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i bet the formula is causing constipation...when my daughter was a week old we went to the LC and she stuck a thermometer in her bum and stimulated a BM...turns out my daughter was FULL of meconium still...and she was being exclusively breastfed...if i were you i would contact your ped or a LC
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well formula may not be "the best choice" for some but for others, like me, it wasn't an option. If your baby hasn't had a BM just call the doctor and see what they can do. And don't let anyone tell you formula feeding is wrong, because it's not.
    B-FigNewton

Answer by B-FigNewton at 10:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Taking your son outside for 20 minutes a day will help with the jaundice more than formula will. My son is 8 weeks old tomorrow, and was born with jaundice, he was 5 lbs 3 oz at birth 8 lbs 3 oz at four weeks and the only thing we did besides breastfeeding was take him outside....
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter was having problems too. Its prob the formula. We used good start and it made her constipated. She would scream during the times she was awake and was extremly irratible. Her doctor said she was fine and there are some babies that only go once a week. She was in pain and we could see it. We switched formula and we switched doctors. Above all go with your gut you know your baby the best.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Get rid of the formula! Nursing is the best thing for jaundice. If he's constipated from the formula, it means that the bilirubin isn't leaving his system. It leaves via the bowels and if it just sits there it will be reabsorbed. Dump the formula. nurse every 90 minutes and get plenty of sunlight. Know that jaundice IS normal and as long as he's getting plenty of milk, he'll clear it. If he's constipated from formula, however, it won't clear.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• thanks everyone! we had stayed at my mothers last night and as soon as I walked in the door and laid him on the couch he went 3 times in a row lol. I guess he just wanted to wait till we got home. About the formula...it wasnt by choice...i was very upset about it. His pediatrician recommended it to help him gain weight because he has lost more than the normal 10%. I'm sure the formula did it. She wants me to still supplement until we see her again on friday. I'm only giving him 2 oz like twice a day. i feel bad giving it to him.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2010