Severe seraration anxiety

My daughter is almost 5 months old. For two months now, everytime I go to work, she screams for hours on end. She stays home with Daddy and big brother while I am gone. Then on nights when I am not at home when she goes to sleep, she will wake up when I come into the bedroom (we sleep in the same room, but not the same bed) and will force herself to stay up for hours. However, if I am home when she goes to sleep, she will sleep 10 hours straight. Any ideas short of just having her cry?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh the poor little dear. She probably hasn't realized yet that when you're not there that doesn't mean you're gone forever.

Maybe your husband can put clothes that smell like you near or around her when she's so upset. Baby's have a wonderful sense of smell and know their mother's scent. If you nurse you can even put some breastmilk on a blanket or washcloth or something. Then she can smell that and feel as though you're there. Put it in her crib when she sleeps too.

Spend as much time with her as you can when you're home so she gets all that mommy love (I'm sure you already do this).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My daughter has done some of the same things. One thing that I found to do was I stand at the door so she can hear me but not see me. After about 15 minutes of that I leave. She only fusses for the sitter for about an hour after that and then she's fine. As for sleeping, you could try calling before she goes to sleep so she can hear your voice. My daughter gets separation anxiety for both me and her dad. Her dad will call if she's being really fussy and I put him on speaker phone so she can hear him. Thats usually all it takes and she's in a great mood.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I agree with the clothes idea. My boyfriend had to do that with our son when I would go to school in the evenings or he wouldn't go to sleep with out me. Also what I do is after I wash his sheets I put them under the covers on my side of the bed for the day and then put them on his bed that night so his bed smells like me. It seems to help him sleep thrugh the night. You could also try that with his pajamas. Pick the ones she will ware that night out in the morning and stuck them under the covers.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2008