Yard sale.... HELP?!

I have never had a yard sell... How much should I sell clothes for? (kids clothes) and Small toys? I don't want to overprice but I also can't afford to under price...

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Think "how much would I pay for this if I saw it at a yard sale"
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have one every year.Usually I let my jeans go for a buck fifty.Shirts .50 cents.But I let people know that every item is negotiable.And have fun!!! : )
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 11:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Here's a suggestion. Go to the Salvation Army Website and check the list on how they value donations. This is a great starting point and then just reduce it a bit from there. I priced my little kids clothes as 50 cents for each piece, a two piece set was $1.00... sold very single thing I had!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would start most clothing at $1 per piece, but if you have some nicer clothes or more expensive brands pull those out and mark them $2 to $5 per piece. Be sure and display the nicer stuff separately from the regular stuff.

If the toys are mostly the type that came from a fast food restaurant or the dollar store, or just random pieces from bigger sets, then I wouldn't mark those more than 10 cents each, or put several in a Ziploc bag and sell it for 25 cents. If the toys are a little nicer than that then maybe 50 cents to $1 a piece.

Towards the end of your sale consider doing everything half price, or buy one get one free.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I heard on a morning show that if you know the full price of an item you then cut it in half. Do not start any higher than that. Then you have to consider if it is in pristine condition. The price goes down dramamtically if the condition is not like new. We had several yard sales and priced things very low because we just wanted to unload things. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I am wondering if $1 per item is too much....
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well I think the standard is like 10% of what you paid for it but I used to do like for a sweatpant/shirt outfit, do 75cents or $1 - but it will depend on the condition but no, $1 doesn't seem too much! good luck.. its a very time consuming thing to do but if it works good, it does pay off for extra $$
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010