How often do you have to spank?

All you mamas out there with 3-4 yos who believe in spanking, how often do you actually have to follow through and spank? Is there an age where they catch on and take the threat seriously and behave better? My son is 3-1/2. I just started spanking his bottom a few months ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't spank my daughters.. Time out works just fine for them.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have to spank him almost everytime I get on him about something. He will be 4 in January.
    B-FigNewton

Answer by B-FigNewton at 10:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• it really depends on the day. lol. i normally only have to spank if it's something really bad, like they just flat out lied or disrespected me. maybe once a day? mostly, getting on their level and talking to them works. and compromise. compromising with them ("you can walk with me to your sisters classroom, and then you'll go into your classroom without a fight.") helps them realize that if i can give a little, so can they.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and I don't spank her that often anymore. It's like a couple of times a month now. When she was a toddler it was 2-3 times a day!! Now she takes me seriously when I say NO.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't spank, talking works. For example she told a fib the other day and I told her she should never lie to me as I don't want to live with people I can't trust....that had more of an impact than swatting her butt ever would.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I dont spank there are so many other creative ways to discipline that work.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Haha! We my lil one was younger (he's 5 now) I would do timeouts and they worked, but only for so long... One day, he was about 1 1/2 and he came at me to try hitting me I spanked him... He could not believe it! Ever since that day I haven't had to do it again. I always ask "Do you want a spanking" and of course the answer is always no but he at least now knows what it is. You cannot threaten something if they do not know what it is... I'm so glad that one time was enough :)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We did time outs and withholding their favorite things. Each child has a "currency" which is the most important things to them. If you withhold that thing as punishment it can work very well.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have a 2.5 and 5 year old and I don't have to spank very often anywhere from 1-3 or 4 times a week. I try other disipline first before the spanking because I don't really like to use it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't spank. I'm way better than you. You're a horrible, violent mother. I just talk to my daughter and it works better than spanking. You might wonder how I know that since she's only two years old and still has 16 years to turn into a defiant brat. But in the meantime, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I'm a "gentle" mother, unlike you people.

Just kidding, I just get kind of annoyed with the non-spanking moms who really didn't need to answer this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2010