Anyone else afraid to get a Mamogram?

I am so scared to get one done. My Dr. says I am 40 now and I "have to" get one done. She said my chances are very low because I had kids early, I extended breastfed, and I had multiples. My exam was good. I am healthy. So why get one? My mom always said that the procedure itself is dangerous and she feels it causes the big "C" word. So I am scared shtless!!
So how do you feel about getting one? Is it really needed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Health

• I understand, and completely agree, with your fears/concerns. Check out the article at the following link:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/02/cancer-society-has-financial-ties-to-mammography.aspx
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• It is best to have one. I urge yo to go. I hated the idea of having one when I was younger, but now I'm very used to it. I have to have them often because there is a history of breast canvcer in my family. The new ones are done digitally and they are very fast and not too uncomfortable. It is far better to get one than not. I hope you are doing self exams too. My SIL found her lump when she did her self exam. You can Google "self exam breast" to find descriptions on how to do it. You should have a mammogram PLUS do self exams.
    You can do this!! Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'm just like you sweetie.I'm scared to death to get one.But there is one thing I do know....There is no possibility of getting cancer from a Mammogram.My reason for being afraid is that there is a family history of cancer.Not of breast cancer,but of cancer in general.I know, it's a stupid reason.I hear it all the time.My sister has had 2 Mammograms & no cancer was detected.Our fears will either motivate or paralyze us.Don't be stupid like me.Get a mammagram sweetie.Lay your fears at rest.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 11:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You HAVE to get one. They don't cause cancer, and there are NO side effects. They aren't comfortable, but it's a few minutes that can save your life. Even people without any risk factors can develop breast cancer. I lost my best friend at 32 to breast cancer.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• its not a big deal, trust me. if you can squeeze a baby out of your vagina, you can have a little discomfort for a few minutes. really, the worse 'pain' for me is the pulling on the skin in order to 'get it all' on camera. its not like a punch in the gut, a stubbed toe, or even hitting your funny bone. its not painful..a little discomfort is all you'll feel.
    heck, i dread going to the dentist waaay more. a mammogram is an inconvenience in my day's schedule, but its preventative maintenance that all women need. plus, it only takes a few minutes. you'll spend more time finding a parking spot than you will actually having the procedure done.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I've never had one, and probably won't start when I turn forty. My risk factors are super low and I've heard controversy over whether routine mammograms are really as beneficial as they say. I'm really skeptical of a lot of the routine screening procedures done nowadays, anyway. When I get to the point, then I'll do some research and make my decision, but in the meantime I'm glad it's a few years off!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:55 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• you should get it done... i recently had my first one at 30 b/c i have painful lumps in my breast but it is not as bad as people make it out to be... it def isnt comfortable but it dont hurt like everyone says...
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010