Is anybody's else's husband not adjusting as well to the teen years?

My normally quiet, shy, meek, and humble son is becoming a real teen. He's finding his voice (thankfully in my opinion) but my husband isn't used to it. Hubby is step dad but he's been around for 7 years. If my son so much as looks at him sideways now he yells at him. I guess I'm just confused at how to handle this new dynamic. Anybody else know what I'm talking about? Suggestions?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My husband tends to over react for the little things in life and under react for the big. My son and he were like oil and water for a few years. They did tend to pick at each other if they weren't spending any time together - I know that sounds weird, but it seemed to me that if they had an outing together and spent some time together, they got along better the next week. Teens are tough. Parents of teens are tougher! Good Luck to you!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Talk to you DH and decide together what the rules will be and how they will be enforced. Tell your DH to contol the yelling. Remember that your son still needs praise and positive reinforcement when he does things right. AND it is such an important time to do things together.....all 3 of you plus you and DH individually with your son. This will help reinforce your relationship. Also, he needs to know he can come to you with any problems during the next few years. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, my husband was ok as a preteen, but now I just don't know how to handle him! He's so moody and irritable! He refuses to listen to anything I say or suggest, and when I do say something, he's just GOT to contradict me! He's become such a know-it-all, he's so sure he doesn't need input from anyone else in his life.

Oh, wait, that's not your question! LOL! Just kidding. I think you've helped me realize, though, what his problem is! HAHAHAHAHA!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Lol, ok, I know I phrased my question weird! I re wrote it a few times but hoped it would make sense! Glad I helped you though =P
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My DH's wife isn't adjusting to it so great either lol ;)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Talk to your DH about how you feel
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I honestly dread the day my son starts acting like a punk. I pray he doesn't, but if or when he does, I don't quite know how my husband will react. As it is, my husband can be a huge sucker when it comes to our son, but I hope he steps up and doesn't let me son get away with things if he is being a brat. I get tired of always having to be the bad guy now.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010