Are you (or have you been) in an open marriage?

If so, what kind is it? Did your relationship start out open? How did you get to where you are? Are you happy?

S/O. Just curious.

** Please note, I'm not asking if you think it's right or wrong, I'm asking for personal experience.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm in an open marriage and it works well for us. As to kind of open, it's not quite swinger and it's not quite poly. We didn't start out open when we got married. But looking back, I should have known I was poly but I was trying so hard to be a 'good girl.' Ha! My hubby was convinced that traditional marriage wasn't for us despite the misgivings I had and he's right. For me love is not something I can deny nor do I want to deny. Being open has allowed both of us to be ourselves, truly ourselves with no reservations. Our relationship still has it's ups and downs. We both deal with stronger emotions than what I'd expect in traditional marriage. The level of commitment is higher I feel because we've eliminated the biggest divorce reason off the table. There is no, 'you cheated so I'm leaving' talk. lol I'm happy with having an open marriage but I still have hubby problems like any wife has.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Absolutely not... I got married for a reason, if I wanted to sleep around I never would have gotten married!

ditto. nope never will never
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Not me, but one of my best friends.

They were married for 25 years, about 18 years into the marriage they decided to open it up to spice things up. They were best friends, thought it would be good for their relationship. They had rules, and both followed them. They divorced two years ago. My friend still loves him, but there was so much hurt and resentment that built up she just couldn't live with him anymore. If any relationship could have withstood this, I would have thought it was theirs. They were happy for a short while at first, she says it was the thrill of something new and taboo.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• a friend from high school had an open marriage, it lasted a year before they seperated. he is now with one of the women he was having sex with during his marriage and has a little girl with her. the baby was conceved when he was still with his wife.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• no, to me there'd be no point in getting married then, may as well stay friends with benefits if your gonna see other people.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No and I never will be,thats what being SINGLE is for.It kinda makes no sense when you get married its so you and that person can have and love EACH OTHER forever,not u and ur husbands eff buddy...
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 12:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010