What are good, low budget meals for dinner?

We are on a small budget for food right now and I wondered if any suggestions could be thrown my way.

B-FigNewton

Asked by B-FigNewton at 11:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• A lot of pasta meals can be made at home very inexpensive (spaghetti, lasagna etc). Having one or two vegetarian meals a week will healp keep you budget down. Beans are really inexpensive for a protien, you can make bean burritos that are amazing at home :)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:04 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have lots, but the best suggestion I can give you is looking into this... Angel Food Ministries

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Every once in a while I will make corn dog casserole. You can doctor it up as much as you like.
    A can of beans
    sliced hotdogs
    1 package of corn bread mix (any will do)
    pour over the hotdogs and beans and bake
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Pasta is good, you can get ground beef and ground Turkey from Wal Mart (at least around me) for $1.98/ lb. And I'm going to suggest that you do not do Angel Food Ministries. They used to have a box of food that included enough food for breakfast and dinner, but now they only have enough food for dinner, and it's the same price. Plus the quality is not good. I also like doing breakfast for dinner, like pancakes and eggs.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Rice and beans!!!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Spagetti
    My kids are happy with a can of bush's baked beans.
    Pinto beans and cornbread
    Hotdogs and chips or fries
    Chicken tacos (I use canned chicken)
    Salad with chicken on it
    Bologna and cheese sandwich with chips or veggies (bologna is like a dollar a pkg)
    Breakfast food for dinner like pancakes or biscuits and sausage/bacon
    We did not have a lot of money growing up and this is the stuff we ate. GL
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Pork chops are super cheap- often you can get a pkg of 4 for like 4 dollars. Get a couple lemons, a jar of capers for $1.50, a box of baking margerine for .99, a box of thin sliced ham, a wedge of mozz for $2.50, and a cheap white wine for $6-7, and you can make pork saltimbocca. Dinner for $15 to $17.
    You pound out the cops in a ziploc bag with wine bottle, then with a sharp knife, butterfly them open. Lay slices of mozz, ham, and capers in sandwich style, then seal back closed with a toothpick. Dredge the chops in flour, salt and pepper, then brown in the butter on med-hi heat. When good and brown on both sides, remove the chops and pour in a good cup of white wine, a Tblsp of butter, a couple teaspoons of capers and squeeze in one of the lemons. Use your spatule to mix it all together and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Makes a pretty, buttery sauce. Pour over chops and top with lemon slices!
    CinnamonScallop

Answer by CinnamonScallop at 11:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Breakfast, pasta, legumes, use black beans to stretch hamburger. Check out 5dollardinners.com too for cheap easy filling meal ideas.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I grow my own veggies, purchase day old baked goods, and shop the scratch/dent bin I only purchase items when they're on a really good sale (and then I stock up as much as I can)... all of this makes it much easier to make really good meals for very low cost.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• clip coupons then make list of what you want for breakfast,lunch,dinner and ingredients to compare brands and prices
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2010