Hawking says God's not needed. So?

Alan Boyle writes: British physicist Stephen Hawking's latest book is already making waves with his observation that science can explain the universe's origin without invoking God.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/01/5028472-hawking-says-gods-not-needed-so

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Hawking is considered to be the most intelligent mind on the planet. He understands MORE about the cosmos than any of us will ever have even an inkling of. Having lived as an atheist for nearly 20 years, I think he speaks the truth. We have evolved beyond the need for the "security blanket" of religion. It's just that a lot of us don't want to grow up and give up our "blankie".
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• so...good for mr. hawking. good thing for me, i don't need mr.hawking to explain MY beliefs to me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• God hasn't been needed to explain the makings of the universe for a long time. Darwins theory of evolution did the same thing.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Okay but this is his opinion and not based on scientific evidence so why is this so shocking. He is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else but this isn't a scientific breakthrough it's just what this one man thinks. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Psalms 146: 3 Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs. 4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish. 5 Happy is the one who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in Jehovah his God, 6 The Maker of heaven and earth, Of the sea, and of all that is in them, The One keeping trueness to time indefinite,
    & 2 Timothy 4:3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories. 5 You, though, keep your senses in all things, suffer evil, do [the] work of an evangelizer, fully accomplish your ministry.
    Mojangles

Answer by Mojangles at 11:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• science and religion rarely make good bed fellows

something you can see and touch and prove with your own eyes vs faith in the non-tangible rarely go together well.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• So .. is that supposed to change my mind or beliefs? Nope I don't think so! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Pretty sure this isn't the first guy to come up with this brilliant discovery. There are many scientists who would disagree with him. So the debate goes on.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• So, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. His beliefs or opinions don't effect my beliefs or opinions in the least.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't he's needed for anything at all either. People just think they need him either for explainations or for their own personal reasons.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010