When should I ditch the binky?

My DD is 13 mos old. She can't sleep without her binky. When should I keep it away from her?

B-FigNewton

Asked by B-FigNewton at 11:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a good question... my son is almost 1 and is in the same boat!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Let her ditch it when she is ready. What is the reason for taking it away?
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:09 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son used to have one and when he lost it I just never replaced it.
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• @ Mommy2Gabrielle- my first child did not take a binky so I was just curious to know a good age to take it away.
    B-FigNewton

Comment by B-FigNewton (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't take it away at all. At this point, it is more about security, exactly the same as if she were carrying around a blankey or a special doll. She will get rid of it when she is ready. I would never take away my dd's blanket she carries, just like I never took my my other dd's binky from her.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I say let her give it up on her own. No kid sucks a paci in Kindergarten and most will go on and give it up on their own by then anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The only good reason for getting rid of it is I've been told it can affect their teeth as they start to get them. With that said, my only suggestion is the earlier the better.

Good luck!
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• @B-FigNewton - My daughter didn't either, I like the idea of letting her lose it and not replacing it. That way it isn't you taking something from her but her letting go of something she no longer needs (if she really needed it he would keep better track of it)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Friends of ours let their girls use them until they naturally gave them up around 3 years old. From the start they could only have them in the house and used them at bedtime and for naps.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I took my my first son's away when he was 10 months old, my second son has never wanted one. I say take it away, the sooner, the better. It's been proven that after 13 or 14 months old it can mess with their teeth development, a pacifier is hardly a good enough reason to make your child need braces later on in life.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2010