How do I conquer my fear of driving?

I never got my permit therefore don't have my license. We only have one car right now but my husband is soon getting another. He wants me to learn. I have driven with him trying to teach me but I always get too scared and nervous. Last time I almost hit someone's mail box. Advice?

B-FigNewton

Asked by B-FigNewton at 11:09 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Travel

• Keep trying! Do you live in an area that has reliable public transit? If you do then don't worry about it. My brother in law doesn't drive and neither does my Mom. I live 18 miles from town and the bus system stinks where I live so I have no choice... I need to get my daughter to school, need food etc.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Just take your time. Start by learning about driving, and get your permit. Then start driving around the block a few times so you can get used to turning, staying in your lane, stop signs, etc. Then drive a mile or two away, and drive back so you can get used to driving in traffic. I promise that the more you do it, the easier it'll be! I got my permit at 15, but I didn't learn how to drive for almost 2 years because my mom had a manual car, and she couldn't teach me how to drive. Anyway, good luck!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Do you two do OK with one being the teacher? My brother tried to teach me and he got SO angry with me! I should have stayed with the driving school instructor. Can you use a driving school if you are having problems? Also, is your sight OK? Maybe get an eye exam if you think you need one.

Other than those two things relax and tell yourself you can do this. Go to a big parking lot and practice there. You will gain confidence each time you try. Take your time and trust that it will all fall into place. Good Luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Go slow and just practice, practice, practice... it gets easier I promise... I've been driving since I was 15, didn't get my license until 18 tho...., I still get nervous on the freeways tho ( I have anxiety issues too) Just don't go on busy streets until you feel comfortable, GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• drive when there's hardly anyone else on the road, like the pre-commute hours
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:19 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I can't drive. It makes me extremely nervous. I have found though that while I am uncomfortable in a sedan, I can drive a mini van. Just go slow. If your husband makes you nervous(mine does) see if a friend will help you.

Of course I say this when I know I need to get the license. It's hard. Lol. I bet you can do it!
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• All you can do is keep practising, perhaps at times when the road is less busy. Maybe learn with an instructor as they will (should) have their own set of brakes etc. Also, try going to open land to practice some manoeuvres.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You just have to suck it up and do it. 15 year olds can do it, so can you. My mom's best friend never learned how to drive (she's almost 60 now). She lived in a small town that you could walk everywhere. Then she got married and her husband drove her everywhere. After moving to our town she kept saying, for years, that she needed to learn and my mom kept trying to teach her but she made excuses not to do it. One night her husband had a heart attack and the ambulance took him to the hospital. They had a small child and she couldn't just leave him, she planned on taking the bus to the hospital when she got a neighbor to watch their child....but her husband died before she could get to the hospital. It's been several years since he died, but she STILL hasn't learned to drive.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You have to practice, just like with anything else.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Talk lesson at a driving school they are good. You have to want to learn. It benefits you and your children in time of an emergency.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010