pink eye?

My son is 15 months and he woke up this morning with his right eye with dry "gunk" and it is a little swollen.... it doesn't look red to me though and I remember when I had pink eye ass a kid it was really red..... Does anyone know?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son had pink eye it look like it hurt, you could certainly tell something was wrong. Make an apt if you really think it's pink eye, and make him wash his hands more! ;-P
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Make sure you keep it clean. If you happen to be nursing, put breastmilk in it. Otherwise, keep it clean and put a warm compress on it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If you pull the lower lid away, with pink eye the inside will be very red. I'd be inclined to wash the eye, from the nose out to avoid possible spreading of infection if any, with warm salt water (a little salt in a glass of water), with a piece of cotton or gauze, and watch the eye. If there seems to be pus-y stuff or as you say swelling (which could be allergy) or the inside of the lower eyelid seems very red, then I'd get the child checked.

Answer by Bmat at 11:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• This morning I answered someone else problem with pink eye.  Read the responses here

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• there are 2 forms of pink eye the bacterial and viral. the bacterial is when it drains and is really gross the viral is just a swelling and irritation. It could also just be an irritation although i would see a doc anyway as pink eye is so contageous and almost always spreads to the other eye! always better to be safe than sorry! good luck!!
    kcangel3303

Answer by kcangel3303 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If your child has an ear infection or runny nose, sometimes that discharge is just from all the infection backed up in the sinuses. Either way, it's worth having the doctor take a look at it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010