Why do people think Obama is black?

Obama's mother is white and Obama's father is black...doesn't that make Obama bi-racial? I have seen lighter skinned people with two completely black parents. I have seen darker skinned people with two completely WHITE parents. Why do people consider Obama black when that is only HALF true? Why do people choose to label him as a "black candidate"? I understand that his dad (Barack Hussein Obama, Sr.) was Kenyan (african american) but why do people choose to ONLY acknowledge his african heritage especially since he spent very little time there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama is not "black" or "white" he IS in fact bi-racial. IMO people choose to label him "black" because it gives him more popularity. He is NOT the first bi-racial presidential candidate. It's a bit disturbing to me that he is labled "black" to make it seem like he is the first presidential candidate that we have had with african heritage. As I said...it's all just a popularity issue.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I think it is the color of his skin and also his facial features. If i saw him in person, I would think he was black. If I heard him talk, I would start to guess he might be half.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 6:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Perhaps because he identifies himself as "Black/African descent." Check out his profile on MySpace.
    LovinIt247365

Answer by LovinIt247365 at 7:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I don't look at Obama and say "yep, he's a black man". I assume that he has european or native american heritage. I have seen Indian and native americans that look more "black" than Obama does.

So far as him identifying as black/african descent, everybody on Earth has African descent. It is scientifically proven that humans originated in Africa and migrated elsewhere. If you don't believe that, just research it for yourselves. If he "identifies" as "black/african" then I can too...and I'm as white as a sheet. Therefore ALL American presidents are "of African descent". With that being said, why exactly is Obama considered the ONLY "black" candidate?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• African descent? Seriously? I have a very hard time believing that we all originated from Africa.

And the reason people think of Obama as black is because he is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• People think he is black because that is what he considers himself. He has said that while he does come from a mixed background, that he is still looked at as a black man. I heard him on Charlie Rose 4 years ago talking about the fact that when he is in New York and tries to catch a cab, there is not a distinction that he is a "biracial' man. They still look at him as a black man and it is just as hard for him to catch that cab as any other black man there. We have to be realistic about race and despite people claiming that they "don't see color", they do. That is fine to see color, it is just not good when you treat people differently because of it.

ojlove

Answer by ojlove at 8:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• obama identifies himself as a black man he has said so. that is why people call him a black man, when he was in cincinnati ohio he refered to himself as a black man to relate to the people in cincinnati. he put that on himself no one else
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• OP here....I don't think you people understand what I am asking. Try READING all that I have posted before responding!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• to jeni6johnson ...you can choose NOT to check any box.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• please poster tell us what you meant then? because we all seem to think the same thing!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2008