Epidural = Back Pain???

Hi all, I had an epidural on 8/3/10 with the birth of my daughter, they left the cathtere in over night because I was suppose to have my tubes tied the next day rather than start another spinal tap. Long story short when I woke up the next morning I had severe back pain and could barely move, they said it was irritating a nerve, took it out and I had instant relief. It's a month later and for the last two days I have had that pain return and it's getting worse. Has anyone else experienced this? Who do I contact, my OBGYN, my regular physician, the hospital where I delivered???

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• almost 3.5 years ago I also had an epidural that stayed in overnight for my tubal the next day. I didn't wake up with pain like you did, but a couple days after he was born it started to hurt and hurt for a while. I did bring it up with a nurse and with my midwife, and got to talk to the anesthesiologist about it - he said the needle just irritates the area sometimes, and over-extending your back (like when you stretch) can irritate the already irritated areas - he said if the pain didn't go away in a couple of months we'd have to check into it, but around 2.5 months post-partum I noticed it was pretty much gone - and for me, going to the chiropractor REALLY helped - so I think it had something to do with a vertebra getting knocked a little wonky during my hospital stay!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The OB woiuld be a great place to start! Good luck!
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:19 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I had my son on 3/6/10 and with him, the epidural worked perfect (it didn't give me ANY pain relief with first DS). However, after they took it out and to this DAY, I still get pain sometimes. I told my OB at my PP check-up and they told me it was normal, if it persists or gets worse for you though, I would see about seeing a Chiropractor to help figure something out. GOOD LUCK!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yeah go to the OB, i had my daughter on august 19th, i also had the epidural. i had major back pain the next day too. but it got better. but there are times when it just stops and its very hard to move and it even hurts when i'm not moving. it was my first epidural. but to tell u the truth, i'd do it again in a heartbeat. anything beats labor pain.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• yeah i agree with the other ladies, call your OB first he/she can point you in the right direction
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2010