I cant be the only one.

So, I went to the dr. yesterday and got checked out. I dont have a yeast infection but some type of bacteria imbalance that is causing me to cramp?? I am almost 17 wks and I dont see this as normal, but have been told my cramping is caused by my infection and put on antibiotics. I have been cramping for 2 days, and I started 2 nights ago, please tell me im not the only one.

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Bacterial vaginosis. It's actually quite common and just the result of an imbalance of bacteria. It can cause pain or cramping in pregnancy and also possibly cause premature rupture of membranes. It can be really hard to get rid of... I fought with it off and on through the second half of my last pregnancy and it apparently won the war when my water broke at 35 weeks.

I would definitely start taking probiotics and continue taking them. Anti-biotics just kill the bad bacteria leaving a void for more bad bacteria to grow... probiotics help the growth of good bacteria which helps keep the bad bacteria in check. Using anti-biotics for this issue can also allow strep b to thrive (which can be deadly to newborns).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• there's a girl in my pregnancy group that's going through kind of the same thing. having any type of infection/imbalance can cause contractions. once it's cleared up you should feel a lot better. be warned though, you may get a yeast infection after taking the antibiotics so be prepared.
    boom_maker

Answer by boom_maker at 11:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• what do i do for the pain though I cant drug myself up b/c I am not only prenant, but I have a 2 1/2 yr old as well.
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• what did your doctor say to do about the pain?
    take Tylenol? heating pad? just rest?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• tylenol benedril chammamile tea... basically stuff that doesnt really cut the pain, it just makes me sleepy and allows me to fall asleep between the cramps...
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I get vaginosis every pregnancy! It is normal!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010