Can I ask someone why I lost their friendship when I left my husband

When I left my husband a year ago, I lost a lot of 'friends'. I understand the ones that were mutual friends of my ex and I, but why would a girlfriend turn her back on me?
She knew that we had marital problems and that I wasn't happy. We've been friends ever since our children started school together 6 years ago. She even stopped having my boys over. Now to make matters worse, she works with the girl that my ex is dating.

I really want to know why? Did I do something to offend her personally? or does she just not know what to say to me? Maybe she wasn't as good of a friend as I thought.

luvmypolywogs

Asked by luvmypolywogs at 11:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I would ask her if you really want to know the answer.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:25 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• all I can think off the top is that maybe for the same reason we lose our single friends once we get married....lack of things you can relate to anymore due to a different lifestyle and priorities? I'm sorry that happened, that sux. Shows who your friends really wereNT tho, at least.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• only she can answer those questions. why not call her up and meet for lunch or something...without the kids, if possible. if she avoids making a date with you, i'd say she answered your questions, and move on.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i would ask her too, it does seem a little weird that she stopeed talking to you, knowing what u guys were going through,idk. Id ask her.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i would just call her and ask her if you guys can talk. the worst she can say is no then i would just tell her how you feel and she can let you know how she feels.
    jballentine

Answer by jballentine at 11:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Ask her.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i think you have every right to ask and expect some kind of answer from her.
    MummoloMom2010

Answer by MummoloMom2010 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• sounds to me like she wasn't as good of friend as you thought.... but try calling her and meeting alone with her like PP said.... maybe the new gf or your ex is bad mouthing you? GL and I'm sorry you are going through this
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• So sorry for all that you've been going through. It's hard enough ending a marriage, but when you don't receive the support you want/need from your friends I know that it can make you feel quite alone. Hopefully some new friends will come along that help fill that void.

As far as this friend who hasn't been supportive, as others said you could come right out and ask her. Or if you're a little hesitant to do that, how about inviting her son over to play with your son. You mentioned that she stopped inviting your son over. How about taking the initiative and inviting them over instead? Maybe this would help break the ice and allow you to have a conversation with her and get the friendship back on track. Good luck! Kristen
    SentWithaSmile

Answer by SentWithaSmile at 11:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'd go and ask her what's up what did i do make you hate me. We were bestfriends at one time since me and my old man went out on way you don't talk to me anymore or talk to me kids and think how that hurtting them you not talking to me......... You know what THE DEAL!
    Star129

Answer by Star129 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010