Potty Training my 2 year old?

So i started my daughter yesterday in regular undies. I plan on staying home and not going out for a few days. I put the timer on and every 15-30 minutes we go sit on the potty and "try". yesterday every time the timer went off we "tried". she only had two accidents in the morning yesterday. the rest of the day she went on the potty. today i am doing the same thing. whenever the timer goes off, we go and try. my question is... will doing this help potty train her and help her recognize not only where pee pee and poo go, but also recognize when she has to go. so far it has been me and the timer telling her when to go. when will she know to go on her own? am i wasting my time? or is this method effective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it will not help her know when she has to go. It will help if you are always going to be around with a timer.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I let my daughter "try" whenever she wants. If she has an accident, I explain to her that next time she has to go potty, she needs to do it in the big girl potty, then I change her and move on. She's made quick progress with this and hasn't had any accidents in a few days. It may take a while for her to recognize when she has to go, just be patient with her and follow her lead.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i ask my lo every half hour or so if she has to go. most of the time she goes bu tsometimes she will tell me no. i think that associating the sound of the timer is going to make it so she may not go if she doesnt hear the timer. it may be a good way for her to start the routine but i wouldnt use the timer enough for it to be what she associates the potty with. can you tell if she recognizes the i have to pee feeling yet? i always did the bare bottom method and if they know when they have to go it really works. i let them go naked untill they pee on the floor once and just say uhoh you put pee on the floor, that goes in the potty" then i take them to the potty. this method trained to of mine at 15 months one in a day and the other in 3 days. ,y middle child didnt respond to this one so it doesnt always work but whenit does its so fast!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have a 6 year old boy when we started potty training daddy would take him into the bathroom with him when daddy had to go and would put him on the potty as daddy was going as well. daddy however didnt particulary like sitting down but it worked with him after only a few weeks and a few accidents he was letting me or daddy know when he had to go. good luck!
    kcangel3303

Answer by kcangel3303 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2010