Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is there any information out there about what i would need to do to start going back to college

Answer Question

Asked by ninamelton34 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • yeah, google it, its all over the place. Good luck :)

    Answer by Zoeyis at 11:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • thank you :) i just don't know where to start.. there is so much information lol..

    Comment by ninamelton34 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • There are some pretty great groups for moms in college. I would start there - Moms in School.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • I went to my local college and they helped me :) They did a compass test to see where I was at with Math and English and then we did some testing to see where my strengths were so I could pick a major. I am now in school and LOVE it!!

    Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Do you have your high school diploma or GED? If so then you can start looking into some of the colleges that you are interested in. Some things to consider are- What do you want to major in? Do you want to take day classes, night classes, online classes? Once you figure this out and you find the college you are interested in, then you can go to their website or to the campus itself and fill out an application, send for your transcripts, schedule to take an entrance test, sign up for orientation, fill out financial aid forms,etc. Each college will have their own requirements. My best advice for you is to stay away from For Profit schools such as University of Phoenix, Kaplan, etc.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 11:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • If I had my High School Diploma or GED, I would contact the college I was interested in going to, and see what they recommended. If there was not a particular college I was interested in, I would research colleges offering what I wanted to take, and see which one would work best for me! Congrats on the decision to go back, and good luck!

    Answer by mommy11260 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • your counselor should have a list for you.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • I agree with JeremysMom. First off you need to make sure that you have either your diploma or your GED. Once you know what it is that you want to go back to school for you should also decide if you want campus courses, online courses, part time or full time and then try to find a college that best suits your needs. Speaking to both an Admissions advisor and Financial Aid advisor will be helpful in determining what the next steps are that you need to take. Also, do you need financial assistance? You may need to fill out the FAFSA as well. Good luck to you I hope you get the answers you are looking for and best of luck with your education.

    Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • You'll need proof of your diploma or GED, your tax information (unless you're under 24 in most states and unmarried - then you'll need your parents' information) for tuition purposes, proof of your residency, and I think there's more.

    My college education was halted because I am unmarried, under 24, and therefore do not qualify for tuition assistance OR in-state tuition because my mother won't give her info and sign the paperwork.

    Answer by WomanWitty at 10:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Try a group here...

    Answer by sherribeare at 2:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.