help my 15 month old is still getting up 2-3 times a night

what can i do to help him sleep through the night? he is waking up screaming sometimes and it takes him forever to go back to sleep and some nights he wakes up for a few mins and goes right back to sleep!! HELP

kcangel3303

Asked by kcangel3303 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah im right here with ya , my 15 month old is up sometimes 6 times a night and my 3 month old sleeps through , aaahgggggg i know its awful. last night she slept all night though for the first time cos i kept her up till 9 and gave her 2 dinners
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 11:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Ugh, I'm sorry, I wish I could help you. My almost-1-year-old is going through this right now. For awhile he was sleeping until 4:30 and then I'd feed him. But it got earlier and earlier until I decided to give him the paci, and then the war began. Now I just determined the only way to get through this is to NOT feed him during the night at all, and just get through this gauntlet of fire. Last night woke up FOUR times! And then at 6 a.m., bright and early. Once we don't have guests anymore, I'm going to let him CIO. I know, a lot of moms think that's horrible, but I think it's time.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• He has been teething it seems like forever but lately he doesnt seem to be as bad as it was and he isnt the drool monster anymore so i think the teething has stopped at least for now but both mom and dad are exhausted!! I've thought about just turning the baby monitor off and just letting him self soothe but i feel like a mean mommy when i dont run to him when he is crying!!
    kcangel3303

Comment by kcangel3303 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son was doing that at 15 months too - - the teething doesn't help!! The bad news is that there is nothing you can do to *make* them sleep all night. . . . the good news is that they do eventually start sleeping better :) For my son, at 1 he was waking 3-4 times per night, by 15 months it was 2-3 times, by 18 months we were down to just once, and now at 20 months he hasn't gotten up at night at all in about a month.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• As for just turning off the monitor - - I'm not a big fan of letting kids cry themselves to sleep. Personally, I think that if my kids are awake and upset, it's my job to help them. I can give them the tools to self soothe, but letting them cry isn't going to help them use those tools - it's just going to make them think mommy doesn't care.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would try the cry it out method!! I know it seems mean and its kinda late but I would try anything!! The more you go in there and give them that attention and whatever else they are wanting the more they are gonna do it and its gonna cause real problems when you try to put them in a toddler bed they will get up out of it in the middle of the night
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• (hugs) my son was like that until he was almost 2 years old. there is a book called the no cry sleep solution for toddlers, or something like that. it's worth a shot, but i decided to just ride it out and let him start sleeping through the night in his own time. i'm not a believer in "cry it out". GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2010