What would you do?

I'm 1of those people that will go out of my way 2help nebody. The town i live n i only know 2families, my sil &neighbor. My sil has 3 kids 4 &under. I try &give her a break weekly or biweekly. i take the kids 4the day, which is a huge hand full 4me. I invite them over 4dinner once a month &call every other day. My neighbor doesn't have a car &i'm constantly taking them somewhere. They also don't have a lawn mower so we mow 4them but it's not big so we don't mind. This last week I've been in 1of those moods where i don't feel appreciated. I've tried not doing nething but she doesn't get it. I'd like 2b the 1that gets invited over from time 2time. Am i being petty? Is there a way 2address this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• Anonymous, I would like to thank you for your contributions. There need to be more people in the world like you. But take it easy! What you're doing is absolutely wonderful. I'm sorry you feel like you're being taken for granted. I'm sure they do appreciate you on every level. However, maybe the next time someone calls, you could bring up "hey, can we have dinner at your place? I haven't gotten to the store lately." Something along those lines. Make it aware that, hey, you're not Super Woman. Show your imperfections. Then maybe people would be willing to open their arms to you. Good luck!
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 9:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I would stop doing for them.And when they ask why, tell them the truth.Tell them you need some effort put your way.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 8:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Relationships in any form have to be give-give, not give-take. You are compassionate for people which is a great gift to have, but remember you have a right to say no once in a while, especially if you are feeling underappreciated. I would be honest about it. If they can't respect your feelings, then why continue to go out of your way for them?
    barmerch

Answer by barmerch at 8:52 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I've always bee this person, I do and do and do and get nothing in return. (excluding 1 friend) I finally stopped doing for everyone else. You know, my phone stopped ringing. As long as I was the one doing for them they were happy but when I wasn't of any use to them why bother. I'd reevaluate your relationships and make friends with people who realize friendship is a two way street. GL.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I am like you, also. Love thy neighbor and all that jazz. But what I have learned is that I have to do it for me. Not them. Some people are takers. And will take, take, take, till there is nothing left and then move on. They have no intention of recipricating. That's ok. I don't want to be like them. I want to help others becuase it makes me feel good about myself. So I do what I can and expect nothing back. Just don't give so much that you feel used. When you get to that point then you are doing too much.
    Traleelai

Answer by Traleelai at 9:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I would just tell my sis and my neighbor that I need a break and maybe they would cook dinner for me this 'round. As for the neighbor...just dont cut their grass or if you do, ask them if they would trim your bushes in return.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 11:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2008