Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am stressed the hell out, & I think I have anxiety.

I have so much going on in my life right now. College, homework, finals, papers... Family, my child, family drama, our grandmother is dying, & I am the only one who lives close enough to take care of her. My family can't afford a retirement home/assisted living. So its up to the family, which has ended up just being me. No one is stepping up to help. I just can't do this alone anymore. If I walk away from gma, no one will be there for her. Its awful...
I've tried going for a run at night. I've tried getting a massage. I've taken a day off, just to be alone. Its not enough. I'm constantly worried, on edge & stressed.
Who do I talk to? My family is being of no absolutely no help. A counselor? a doctor? what kind of dr.? like a general family dr.? or is there a certain specialist I should look into?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Depends on what your insurance covers, but usually your general doc is a good place to start, and also look for a therapist. The therapist can't prescribe meds if you end up needing them, but he/she can help you determine if you think they might be a good next step. And it's good to have your doc in the loop now, so that if you need to go back and ask for meds, you already have that history. I have anxiety disorder and it is very hard - therapy and meds have helped me so much. And please remember this - meds do not have to be forever. Don't shoot down the idea because "people say" that once you are on them you are on them forever. That is NOT true. Sometimes people get in a bad situation, and they need some help to get through it. It sounds to me like you have several things in your life that would qualify as very bad but also temporary. Please write me privately if you want to talk more.

    Answer by getrealmama at 12:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • therapist should do it, just to vent it out and see what they say for solutions

    Answer by Zoeyis at 12:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • You could see a counselor or a therapist online. I did it this way because I'm a stay at home mom and didn't want to pay for a sitter once a week while I sought help. I used I picked my therapists and signed up for appointments after my boys went to bed. It was easy and convenient and VERY helpful with my depression and anxiety!

    Answer by MotivatingMama at 1:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • start by talking to your doctor and see what happens from there. gl

    Answer by QandA at 7:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010