Baby is 9 weeks old, and still on a 3hr schedule.

Hey Ladies! I had my baby about 9 weeks ago, she breast feeds fine, but is still on a 3hr schedule. This is absolutely killing my energy throughout the day (as I also have a 3yr old as well). Is there anything that you can suggest? Advice so far is to just wait it out, and there is nothing that I can do about it...but it has been killing me so I thought I just might try out this forum site. ANY advice would be welcome as I am just looking for a way to get more sleep. Thanks.

LaurenSullivan

Asked by LaurenSullivan at 9:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hate to tell you again, but all that advice to wait it out is all you can do. Young babies really can't be trained to eat or sleep to our schedules. My baby is 12weeks and sleeps all night, which is great, however it requires feeding him every 3 hours or so during day. My only suggestion would be try pumping breastmilk in a bottle and have someone else take a feeding or two to give you a break.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Feel blessed. My middle one who weighed 9 lbs 4 oz at birth was on a two hour schedule for months. Even at night. Some babies just need more. He'll switch to 4 hrs when he's ready, just keep in mind he may never be ready. Try and nap when he does.
    Deb_Jones

Answer by Deb_Jones at 9:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Are you starting to entertain her inbetween feedings during the day? If you are just her sleep all day then she won't want to sleep much at night. If she isn't sleeping alot during the day then they just the way she feeds and you will have to wait it out. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I drink coffee, lots of it. I have 3 mon old twins, who are breastfed; a two yr old transitioning from a crib, and a 3 yr old who is potty training.So I know sleep deprived...... I drink alot of coffee. I know it will get better someday, soon, hopefully..
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Don't drink lots of coffee, it will keep your baby awake too! One or two cups is fine, but more than that will start to effect the baby. Try to encourage her to nurse more during the day to get her to sleep for a longer stretch at night. Breastfed babies need to eat 8-12 times in 24 hours. Try encouraging her to eat every 2 hours during the day, and nurse as much as she is willing to before bed time to help her to "tank up". Put her in sling so she can nurse while you chase the 3 yr old around (that is how I survived with boys 17 mo apart!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My baby girl still eats every 3 hrs and shes five months old... She sleeps through the night though... The only thing I can think of in your case is to establish a bedtime routine, and STICK TO IT!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My daughter is 10 weeks and eats every 2 hours during the day but sleeps throughout the whole night. She goes to sleep around 9 and doesn't wake up until around 6. Does your baby sleep through the night? That's probably why he's eating often if he does. I don't care how often she nurses during the day, just as long as i get my sleep through the night!!
    christenlrodrig

Answer by christenlrodrig at 11:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Wow, you ladies are awesome! She does not sleep through the night. When I say every 3hrs, that is through the night as well. Thank you so much for all your suggestions, will take more if you got them.
    LaurenSullivan

Answer by LaurenSullivan at 11:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If you want help getting your baby to sleep longer and better, try a new product called the magic sleepsuit. it helps babies sleep better and longer because it helps muffle those startle movements that wake babies prematurely. www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous