How do you count how many days past ovulation you are?

Hi ladies I have always wondered this but every month I go by when I feel the O pain I always get plus that day the +opk. Is there some rule as to what you should go by? I know I got a +opk on cd13 and O pain even though I have a 28 day cycle. Thank you for any answers and babydust to all!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• find out what day you ovulated, i count bc my cycles are regular, so on day seven after bleeding i go from there, but if you arent regular go from the dates your opk shows so say its 2 days of a surge take the later one so you wont be starting to early and count from the so if i ovulated on the 1st of the month on the 10th id be 9dpo hope that helps
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The only way to know for sure is to chart. You wouldn't count from the first positive OPK because they don't actually detect ovulation. They detect the LH that preceeds it approximentally 12-48 prior to ovulation so you can't pin point ovulation exactly with OPKs.

On top of that some women can have multiple LH surges per month that do not preceed ovulation so a positive OPK can just mean a random LH surge.

Get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility and learn to chart for more accurate ovulation prediction as well as accurate counting of your Luteal Phase.
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• just by the info you have given it looks like you O about 12+ hours after your surge, but the best way to find out would be to do the Basal Body Temp along with OPKs. the BBT method tells you that ovulation has passed and OPKs tell you when you are going to O.

Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2010