If you borrowed someones car and it broke down because you failed to put gas in it, would you call the owner and make it their issue, or would you just figure it out?

Or if you didn't have the money for gas would you just not say anything and borrow the car anyway? I lent my extra car to a friend hers was out of commish. She has kept it longer than she said. She only put $5 in gas in it, and used all the gas that was in the car. Calls me this morning on my way to work with this......Should I not be irritated? I'm never loaning a car again, from now on I'm saying it's not insured so no one can drive it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• def be ticked! Seriously, if you borrow a car, it becomes your responsibility!
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i think i would also be upset about this ordeal..i learned a long time ago not to lend out vehicles..ppl just dont care for your property like they would their own..i got mine back full of trash, no gas, rubber tires, and door dents...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sounds like your friend is an ingrate.

I've borrowed friend's cars before (truck to move furniture, etc.) and when I return it, I not only WASH IT, but I make sure the gas tank is full - whether it was full when I borrowed it or not!

Amazingly, now, when I ask to borrow someone's car, the only time I hear "no" is when their car is in the shop! :)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would never loan my car to anyone, because people will not respect your car anf take advantage of you.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The only time I ever borrowed a car, I took care of it and put gas in it before I returned it. I also learned the hard way not to lend my car to anyone. They had it for a day and I had to have it towed back.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• OH WOW! I would be so angry...she should have put gas in it and made sure she was responsible since you were nice enough to let her borrow it in the first place, at least you found out she isn't responsible!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would be annoyed. I expect the car to be returned to me in the same condition I lent it to you in. Meaning if I had a full tank of gas in it when you took it, I expect a full tank of gas in it when you give it back.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If it had been me I would have caled to let you know that there was a problem and then fixed it myself. You are right to be mad but you shouldnt have loaned your car out. Crap happens. You also should have had some sort of agreement about if something went wrong or if she needed to return it with a full tank.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'd never let a friend barrow my car to begin with. However. It is on them and it is their repsonsibility for not putting gas into the car. Any towing expenses or otherwise comes out of their pocket. While the car is in their posession it is their responsibility.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Your "friend" is immature. Come on now, everyone knows that five dollars will not take you very far. I would not lend my car out to anyone. it's just not worth the risk.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 5:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2010