did anyone ever have to have their baby wear glasses at a very young age?

I just got back from the doctors with my ten month old daughter. She had an eye test because one over her eyes tend to look inward at times. Well the test showed that she is very far-sighted. Then the doctor told me she would like my ten month old to have glasses right away but also told me that if she starts wearing them but takes them off from time to time she may end up with more of her eye wandering. I don't know what to do. I really didn't want my young daughter to have glasses this early (not that I think she'll even keep them on her face) but I'm also sad that she hasn't been able to see thing far away without really focusing her eyes. :(

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My teacher had his 8 month old in glasses. They got contacts for the baby at a year and a half. It's uncommon, but nothing to worry about. They have flexible frames, and I bet the child will get really used to wearing them.

I got Dd's ears pierced when she was 4 months old. I was worried she would mess with them and take them out when she was able... but honestly, because they've always been there, she's more interested in other things... I think it will be kinda the same thing with an 8 month old.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 12:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• The sooner she gets glasses and the more she wears them, the more chance she has for her eyes to correct and not need them or for her to not lose anymore sight.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Don't glasses make eyesight WORSE? I would get a 2nd opinion, personally.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I had a preemie and he had the preemie eye issues so he had surgery (at about 1 month old) and has worn glasses all his life. To start with we got him the Baby Bougelli frames they are plastic and wrapped around his head not his ears. As he got older (around age 3) we tried the Flexon frames but (by 5/6 years old) found it just as cost effective to get 2 - 3 pairs of "cheaper" glasses to the 1 pair of Flexons (that did not hold their shape).
    Also throughout the years we did a series of patching over the stronger eye. Truthfully that was much harder than having him keep his glasses on. If her vision is poor she may keep her glasses on because they make life easier for her and she will quickly recogonize this!! Good Luck.....Julie
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My husband's cousin had to start wearing glasses at 6 months old! It still amazes me when I see the photos. He is legally blind.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My middle daughter has been wearing glasses since 18 months because she is severely far sighted. I was really upset at first but once she got her glasses she was so freaking cute.

This was her on her 2nd birthday.  She had those same frames until she was 3 (although we had to replace them several times).  She's almost 8 now and still wears glasses.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• my 5yr just got glasses last monday i have a hard time keeping them on him so I am just making him wear them during school and i want to get a 2nd pair to keep at school and at home but his script is very low
    heidim229

Answer by heidim229 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• None of my kids do, but I know a lady whose son is less than a year old and wears glasses.
    Summersmom360

Answer by Summersmom360 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Every child is different, and the sooner the better. My son started wearing glasses at 18 months old. I won't lie, he hid them about 3 times. Lost them at a b-day party at our house once and they go missing still every so often. Your child is younger and should respond better than this.

Please do what they want you to do for your baby and start as early as possible. My son will have his second surgery this year and you can't tell his eyes ever wandered at all. The patching is so much easier the earlier you start because they don't fight it as much. Amblyopia is what it is called can cause them to see double because their eyes don't work together properly due to the muscle weakness. It will make learning in school harder if not corrected and best results if corrected early. The best time is in the first 3 years of life. Good luck.
    Amanda3983

Answer by Amanda3983 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My DH is legally blind without his glasses. It sounds like his situation is very similar to yours. He is extremely farsighted, has a lazy eye and is cross eyed. He has been wearing glasses since he was about 6months old. They did surgery to correct the crossed eyes. For him it failed, but his eye doctor has told him they can repeat the surgery on him now with a higher probability of success. The surgeries and treatments are much better now than they were 35 years ago. As far as the eye wondering more with intermittent glasses use- I think it sounds right. The only time my husband eye wanders is when he has his glasses off or he is wearing contacts. And he doesn't see as well with the contacts. A second opinion and a pediatric ophthalmologist are a must. Good Luck!
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010