Clogged Milk Duct-Ouch. How do I unclog it?

I think I have a clogged milk duct again! This is the second time in the last week or so. It is very painful and started early this morning. I have been feeding as much as I can and pumping on that side. I also am doing hot and cold compresses in between feedings. Is there anything else I can do? How long should this take to feel better? It hurts so bad but isn't an infection just yet (had one of those with my first child). Any advice?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 12:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• massage the breast as you are breast feeding and when you are not breast feeding too. As for feeling better. That will come when the clog is gone. Also a warm shower and massage too. Period lots of massaging.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I used heat and expressed when my DD wasn't feeding I never used cold I took hot showers too
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• How about heating up a damp cloth, and putting that on your breast...the other suggestions are good too!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• This used to happen to me, Nurse the baby on that side a bit more this helps move the milk through, but remember to nurse the other side so you wont have this problem there and remember to switch breast by alternating side to side at feeding time and put warm compresses on it, it should help, if not call your doctor. Good Luck!

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Like the others said, massage, massage, massage. I used to also lay in a hot bath and keep putting a hot washcloth on it. Mine would usually go away in a day or two. They are the worst ... hope you feel better soon.
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 12:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You need to call your dr because I tried to fix it myself and It was only getting worse... My dr said it was mastitis and needed antibiotics... I was on the antibiotics for 1 week. It was toooo painful to breastfeed on that side so I fed from the uninfected side and pumped infected side every hour after a week it was completely gone, then I quit breastfeeding all together.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Also try pointing baby's chin at the clog. You may need to dangle nurse to do this; it's just what it sounds like. Lay baby down, dangle the breast over at the right position to have baby's chin pointed at the clog. Baby will work it out.

You don't *need* to call your doctor for a CLOG, only for mastitis. But you should take a look at possible causes; tight or underwire bras, carrying a back so it rubs against the affected spot, even sleep position sometimes.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I meant *bag not back.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would have DH help me out when dd could clear them fast enough
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010