If your child committed a serious crime....

.....would you turn them in or help them to cover it up???

I just read a story were 2 teens committed murder and their parents convinced them it was the right thing to turn themselves in so the other family would have closure. A parents first instinc is to protect their child at any cost, so even though it's the right thing it would be hard to do knowing your child would spend life in jail....

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it depends on the serious crime. MURDER? oh my..... I suppose I'd help them lawyer up 1st and arrange a surrender.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• PS - if my child did it willfully, on purpose, taking someones life and not an accident, car wreck, etc etc type deal I am not entirely certain I'd stand by them whatsoever. I WOULD make sure they had a top notch lawyer 'cuz nothing good ever happens w/ a public defender
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would most definitely have him turn himself in or I would turn him in. Part of loving our children is teaching them to take responsibility for their actions.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'd stand by them and help them find forgiveness...but I would have them turn themselves in.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's a tough one. I know I could never help cover something up so I guess my answer is help them get a lawyer and support them any way I could. I would love them no matter what but I don't have to love what they did.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Damn right I would turn them in. I'd hope that they'd learn a lesson after minor stuff that would teach them they have to take responsibility for their own actions, which should prevent "serious" offenses.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have the right to remain silent I am innocent until proven guilty I would not ask questions nor would I answer them I know nothing therefore I am helping no one
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Turn him in!! My brother went through a phase of theft, and my parents not turning him in at first made him think it was okay to keep doing. FINALLY his ass went to county jail for 2 months, and he no longer breaks the law.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would turn them in, and be there for them every step of the way. I believe everyone should be accountable for their actions.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'd head for the hills with my son. We'd either live in the mountains, or we'd flee the country. Change our names, move around, find jobs as food/clothing vendors, and go on with our lives. I'm his mother, you think I want my baby behind bars??? He slept in my california king bed when he was an infant, I never thought twice about buying a crib. ;)
    I'm kidding of course!!! a little anyway... ;)
    If my son purposely commits a serious crime, you bet your ass I'd turn him in. On a silver platter. I have zero tolerance for such baneful behavior. Murder is wrong. End of story.
    Now if he robs a bank-I'd get him to confide in me his plan. Have him take responsibility for his actions. Then, I'd help him perfect his plans to rob a bank properly. Gotta learn from your mistakes, right? ;)
    Ellie19

Answer by Ellie19 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010