What would you think of a school that used the word 'exclaimation point' to illistrate the letter X in a homemade alphabet book for Kindergarteners?

What type of confidence would you place on them to give your child a good education?

My dd's school did this and it immediately made me question their reliability as a place of solid education.

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 12:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when I think exclamation point I think... E ... poor kids are gonna be confused!
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I guess I don't quite understand, why didn't they use the letter x?? the sound an X makes never starts a word, could that be why?? I would let the teacher know your concerns- I'm sure there is some reason why they would do that.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't know, but that's kind of funny. Why not just do X-ray, it's what they had in my kindergarten class.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Boo on that school!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• *illustrate, exclamation

And I do get sick of Xylophone and X-ray as a choice. eXclamation point is fine as an alternative.

Oh!!! now I get it!! I love that idea!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• *illustrate, exclamation

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Wow lol, just wow. There was always x-ray or xylophone when I was in school.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would take issue that an exclaimation point isn't really relevant for someone who doesn't know how to read. The fact that it doesn't start with the letter X is no big deal.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Xylophone is a bad choice because it starts with a Z sound.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

That is my issue exactly. They expect these 5 year olds to be able to read alone by the end of K yet they are using a word that starts with E to represent the letter X.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2010