• In the Spotlight:

how do i care for bottle rot when my kids will have NOTHING to do with a dentist?!

they freak out anytime im anywhere near a dentists office? kicking, screaming, biting, foaming at the mouth but im worried about their teeth. they both have bottle rot but no pain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Kids' Health

• MAKE them have something to do with a dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I agree, it's your responsibility as a parent to get them the proper care. They aren't going to do it by themselves. They may be kicking, biting, screaming etc. because this works for them. This can't be the first time the dentist has seen this. I would stay out of the room and let them handle their behavior. Chances are they'll behave better for them. (I realize this will be hard for you) Oh, and let the dentist know beforehand that they get very anxious and upset. Good luck!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 10:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It may be difficult to get them in there, but gas is good for something. My niece is very difficult to GET to the dentist, but once she's doped up she's just fine and leaves with a smile and talking to the receptionist every time. There are some things you just cant do on your own, and taking care of dental problems is one of them.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Why do they have bottle rot in the first place??
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Scaredmommy, I don't believe that was her question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Don't neglect your children's health. You have to go with them. But in th emean time, make sure that they brush their teeth. but sweets out of their food. Don't give them a bottle/drink to get them asleep (sorry, don't know their age). they will need to go to the dentist, maybe you have to go one at a time.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Um, yeah. Hon, I would MAKE it happen. Perhaps do what I did. I called the dentist up to ask for them to mail in all the office paperwork I needed to fill out. That way I could fill it out at home and just hand it to them when I get there...and focus my full attention on my step daughter who at the time was afraid so badly of the dentist. OR this is what I did for my other child; I called the dentist ahead of the visit and exclaimed that this child will be hard to handle so be prepared...and see if there is anything he thinks you could do to prepare the child.

Do not let them make the decisions on their health. You are the mom...the parent. Take them no matter what!

Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Take them to a pediatric dentist, they are really good at working with kids who are scared and most of them distract the kids with movies and music.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• its obvious how they got it. now she needs to fix it since she didtn prevent it. find a dentist that specializes in children. i am sure there are library books about going to the dentist. get some & read them & talk about what a dentist does. empasize that the dentist is nice and there to help them. maybe promise them a special treat (NOT candy but like trip to the park or a toy) after a sucessful dental vist. also I know my kids dentist had a preliminary appointment where they didnt do any work or even look at their teeth, but let them come in & sit in the chair and showed them equipment and talked to them to get them used to the idea.
    Anonymous

• Wondering how they got to be scared of a place/person they never knew about before anyway? Somebody must have told them bad stuff about the dentist or they went before & had a bad experience. That's too bad. They need dental care. You cant fix that yourself. Even rotted baby teeth can be bad for their dental health.
    Anonymous