Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She doesn't have insurance, but needs to see a doctor. Where can she go?

I have a friend that has came to me about some problems she is having health wise. The only problem is she doesn't have any insurance and is not really sure where she can go. Her problems are down stairs if you get me. She lost her insurance right after having her baby and doesn't know who she can see about it now. I don't know what to tell her. I haven't ever been in that situation.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Health

Answers (8)
  • there should be a free clinic in your area. tell her to call social services, they will tell her where she can go..

    Answer by SummersMamma at 10:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • California has a program called family pact, it's paid for by family planning and will cover all female health needs. I'm sure there is a program similar in most states. Social services can point her in the right direction. Even if there isn't a program like this, there are free clinics if you're in a big city, and clinics that offer sliding scales.

    Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • She could go to the local family and children services and see if she qualifies for their insurance program...if she doesn't...worst case scenario...go to the ER, explain the situation and see if they can't help you get indigent care.

    Answer by raybell at 11:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • If she calls her local health department, there are nurses there that can refer her to local community clinics or programs that can help her.

    Answer by cdgoldilocks at 11:29 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • Like already stated, most areas will have a clinic that, if not free, will do their costs on a "sliding scale". That is to say, they look at your income (its OK if its $0) and decide what you should pay based off of that.

    Another option as was mentioned above is the Family Pact, Planned Parenthood accepts that, as well as (in my area at least) a couple other female only clinics. If there is a local Planned Parenthood in your area, take her there. Even if they don't have Family Pact in your area, they should have something similar that allows for no-cost or very low-cost female medical care.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • There are free clinics or some that go by your income.

    Answer by fearful5 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • I would suggest Planned Parenthood.

    Answer by Crazy-Steph at 6:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • Have you heard about Ameriplan. They have great discounts if you don't have insurance. Let me know if you need more info on this.

    Answer by SaferAtHome at 12:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.