Another oil rig explosion

The Associated Press reports another rig has exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, west of the Deepwater Horizon rig. Happened about 9:30 AM Central time. Not yet determined whether it's a production platform or a drilling rig or whether workers were aboard. Smoke is reported but not clear whether it's still burning.

Asked by gdiamante at 1:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG... are you kidding me.... off to check...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 1:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• WOW! Unreal! When is this going to stop!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Saw that earlier.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Just saw this on Yahoo news. Apparently all the workers 11 or 13 or so of them, were rescued with only one injury.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Conspiracy??
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 1:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• shruggingnot good news

NEW RIG EXPLOSION

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I've been hearing snippets of this on the radio and only just now got home to skim a few articles. My main nitpick so far? I've seen a few different articles speculate on how easy or difficult it would be to clean up a hypothetical oil spill there. Never mind that the platform was shut down for maintenance and that there has been no confirmation that there's even any kind of oil leaking. Hrm, wonder which part people will pick up on and start spreading around...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• "I've seen a few different articles speculate on how easy or difficult it would be to clean up a hypothetical oil spill there. Never mind that the platform was shut down for maintenance and that there has been no confirmation that there's even any kind of oil leaking. Hrm, wonder which part people will pick up on and start spreading around... "

Depends on what folks have access to. About 15 minutes ago, AP reported that the rig is not producing oil or gas and that there's no word that oil is leaking. But it took them an hour from the first bulletin to report that, and due to copyright laws a lot of other material may not be available to newsrooms.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Dig Baby Dig!

I feel bad for the people involved, but how much has to happen for people to get a clue!?
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Saw this this morn. and almost fell off my chair. Ugh, I can't believe this is happening again. So mad.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2010